1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mirrors Egde PC and Physx. So is it time for a dedicated card?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by douglatins, Nov 20, 2008.

1. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    So i have a 4870X2, and have posted b4 about getting something like a 9500GT for physx, and people werent very responsive, or didnt recommend because, nothing would be improved, but now physx is showing effects, should we ATI owners do something about it?

2. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't really worry about getting Physx but get like a 8800GS or higher if you do

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    No ATI has the better advantage IMHO performance . as far as physics go I do not know . My 8800GT is still working and the HD4850 I just got seems to out perform it hands down !

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  4. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    But isnt Physx proprietary for Nvidia, meaning only Nvidia cards run it?

5. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Does Mirror's Edge support Physx?

6. trickson

Thanks Received:
  7. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Yes and it looks freaking AWESOME!

8. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
  9. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I do not know the answer to that . if you want I will trade my 8800 GT for yours (LOL) :rockout:

10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Is Mirror's Edge ever going to be released for the PC? Last I heard it was "delayed indefinately".

11. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've played the demo on the console and honestly wasn't all that impressive. The mechanics of it are at best cumbersome with a game pad. As for any added value with Physx I honestly don't see any from my perspective. I've seen mini tech demos using it and the difference are so subtle that you would have to play the game side by side to see how physx may change an environment.

The only way I see this as a problem is if the game refuses to work with a Radeon card. We will have to wait and see what will happen once the game is released on PC :rolleyes:.

12. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Have you seen the cloth ripping effects?

13. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen it and to me it's subtle. Playing the game and watching videos/pics are 2 different things. IMO, from what I've seen the differences in what you can do with physx is overhyped. Furthermore, the game itself wasn't very fun for me. That does play a factor in why the physx shown hasn't won me over.

15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It wouldn't hurt to add a card for PhysX, just realize that having ATi and nVidia together won't work under Vista, only XP. But for $40, an 8500GT should handle the job of PhysX easily, and not pretty hurt the pocket.

1.) He is talking about adding an nVidia card, not replacing his ATi card.
    2.) ATi doesn't really have a performance advantage, with the exception of the HD4870x2 which only offers roughly a 5% performance benefit for roughly a 30% price premium.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  16. speedpc

speedpc

Thanks Received:
    newtekie1 is right: ATi and nVidia together won't work under Vista, This is one thing that really burns my *** when it comes to Vista what were they thinking ??? I actually believe it would work if M.S. would come out with and update, think about it, they said sli would not work with dual monitors in vista /xp and bam a driver comes out that supports it now. makes you wonder what else would work !!!!

17. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The problem is actually entirely the fault of Microsoft. They designed Vista to only allow one graphics driver to initialize. They did it to fix the instability that would happen when an ATi and nVidia driver were used together. The problem is that ATi and nVidia worked out those problems on their own a long time before Vista was released, but Microsoft still felt the need to impose this limitation.

18. speedpc

speedpc

Thanks Received:
    The problem is actually entirely the fault of Microsoft : That really burns my *** lol
    They did it to fix the instability that would happen when an ATi and nVidia driver were used together (What instability ??? I never had any in XP)

But i bet they could fix it if they wanted to !!!! everytime they say they can't, time passes by and next thing you know they support it, The Consumer always get the short end (lol) Thx for clearing that up for me :)

19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I guess this game is also causing people nausea and actually making them throw up.

20. leonard_222003 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry about physx too much , the battle is far from finished and i think we already have the winner , Havok Intel.
    Maybe Nvidia can corrupt a developer to do one game with physx but the big names and majority don't give a f.... about nvidia unlles they pay some big bucks to get exclusive support of course Nvidia doesn't have unlimited money to burn.
    It's a desperate move for the coming holidays to make people buy very outdated tehnologies like 8800gt's rebranded as 9800gt's , 9800GTX's with promises of physx and hardware video compression and promises of great performance imporvements from drivers.
    Some of them partially work and others ar just lies , for example driver improvements are non existent from the benchmarks i saw , if there are some improvements they are isolated to some kind of resolution AA AF combination wich even the reviewer's didn't find , then the hardware compresion or transcoding , it's very buggy and to top it of if ever that badaboom program will work then it will cost you money to have it , nice, and the physx stuff , well , the desperation is big.
    The fact is 4850 and 4830 are unbeateable by antyhing Nvidia has at this moment in price/perforamnce category and this makes them struggle very hard with driver promises and all kinds of marketing lies until they release a new generation they will keep doing this.

21. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    ATi and nVidia drivers didn't like to work together in the past. Having both installed would cause blue screens, even if only one card was actually installed in the machine, it was like this for a very long time, and the main reason programs like Driver Cleaner exist today.

This actually was a big problem in the past, and I'm sure Microsoft got fed up with all the support calls they had to take because nVidia and ATi could write drivers that worked together, so they finally just said "fine, if you don't want to fix the problem, we'll fix it for you". Of course, nVidia and ATi did fix the issues, but it was too late. In a way, nVidia and ATi brought it on themselves, but ultimately Microsoft was the one that implemented the restriction, and I'm sure they oculd release a patch to remove it if they wanted to, but they don't.

22. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Didnt Fit get the two card factions working together in Vista?

23. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    No that was Windows 7....