1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Missing Emails: ATT 2nd time

Discussion in 'General Software' started by revin, Feb 26, 2013.

1. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    WTF:mad::mad:
    Why are my ATT emails dissppering?
    This is the 2nd time this has happend in the last 6mo.
    We ONLY use web acsess thru IE,
    Just spent over 2 hrs with 2nd tier support, they did a remote, bla bla, cant find any problem. Dont see any hacking activity, forwarding ect.....

So they connect me with some other "Advanced" Dept, and just barely caught something about a "Gauranted Resolution" during the babaling, turns out they want $15 a mo for 12 mo
    [$180} to Proabally end up telling me the server screwed up and the emails is not avaiable.

As of 2-25 yesterday I seen emails prior to the 2-5 date that the messages stop at now.
    I have WAAAY too many legal emails gone, not to mention finanical ect GONE

This is SCARY to find out

What can I do now to get in AT&T's ass to get this resolved?
    BTW the Advanced is trying to tell me it's because of IE that they are missing, lol
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It boggles my mine that people would rely on someone else to be backing up their important data.

This is exactly why I have Windows Live Mail pulling a copy of every email I receive out of my Yahoo and Gmail accounts onto my computer, and then the copies on my computer are backed up nightly to another computer.

As for what you can do, it sounds like nothing. If the data is gone it is gone, if AT&T didn't back it up, then you aren't getting it back.
    xvi says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i'm sorry this happened, but i have to agree with newt on both points. you are most likely sol and you absolutely cannot rely on a free email service to save important documents. it is a tool, and hopefully the only one you ever need - but you need to be safe even if it fails and that means being conscientious about data storage.
  4. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guy's,
    So i'm not insane, it;s not from my end, as in thier words, "using IE could be why you can not retrive your email before that date"

BTW when we signed up for the ATT DSL many years ago, they was the one that pushed on us about "you will always have all your email forever,you dont have to risk losing it from your computer HDD. But we do have back up in folder, from 2005- June 1012 it's just that it's on our email account.

Also the 2nd tier lady let it slip she can indeed see the couple thousand msgs were missing, which, so we have 4400[in the sid folder] of aprox 6,000 so that alone seems that they Do indeed have the "missing" 2000 msg's..........

Also using the same analogy, the mail ["copy"] server[computer] is backed up to another server{computer["copy#2"][ they Both crash......... are now both you And me{At&T] at the same point i am now ? think about it........

And isn't that the whole idea about "STEAM", they keep those bazillion Gb games we want, what happens when they lose them, did everyone make backup copy's.....?
    Never was aware that we now needed to "store" our email again.
    It's like this new "cloud" shit, the whole idea is it's supposed to be "kept" somewhere "SAFE" for you to retrive.

As for free, Not.... it cost $$ every month for the "Included up to 4 E-mail boxes" and there again it dont matter how "much" you pay for a service the same Murphey's Law still applies

FWIW IF we had known that this was a loophole issue we'd made copy's of copy's printed bundle's of pages ect...to have, backed up.

Were just soo pissed that they have it happen, and want us to shell out $180 to Gaurantee Resolution which I read as "Yea we got it[the email's] you just gotta pay to get them back because we see they are important.....Hmmm howd they know it's about 2k emails:confused:
  5. revin

revin

Thanks Received:
    Solved

:eek:Ok here is what I found...........................
    I do use Office for our Calender backup from the iPhone....
    After getting back to Office14 and looking thru Outlook 10, well let's just say :eek::eek:

M$ has made it extremly hard to find where to "Leave messages"......and it's not even called that!!!!
    After activating it low and behold there's the messages, in a pst file

So I'd think?:confused: that we just need to backup the pst file "only" to keep what is recieved thru Outlook ?
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah that's all I do. you can back it up manually, but I use an automated online service as well for the office. if it's important i would recommend both.
  7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Sorry about your troubles.

I backup my emails (ones that I wish to save). I have a folder (named whatever)I made in outlook and drag them there. The folder is redirected to my live backup drives. Live meaning connected all the time or to say on-line. I will update my off-line backups whenever I feel the need.
    Works for me.

Have you thought about trying a software solution such as MailStore Home® – Free Email Archiving and Email Backup Software for Home Users...

It is compatible with:
    Version 8 adds: Official Outlook 2013 Support (including Office 365 Click-to-Run virtualization)

And, you can do a full text search.

They even have a portable version you can launch from a usb drive from any windows pc without having to install it on the PC. (MailStore Home Setup comes with the option to install MailStore Home Portable)

MailStore Home - Online Help
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with backing up your mail.....HOWEVER a friend of mine has had an AOL account since 1996 and it has mail in it SINCE 1996!!! I don't think there is any issue to keeping email online in a free service. It just depends on the service. EVERYTHING with AT&T sucks man.
  9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Just sounds like a shitty web based email service.

GMail, has saved everything I wanted with no fuss whatsoever. This business of backing up emails 3 or four times seems to be beyond excessive. Unless you are using that account as a business account, then yea, I see the worth in doing that.

Just get a better free email service.
  10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it is for a business.
  11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I can't see where he said that, if he did my bad, I'm tired.
  12. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah sorry, rereading it doesn't specify that. I guess I assumed because of: