• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Missing Nforce network controller

Testing

I put a copy of XP SP2 on a fresh drive, and everything went well. The drivers were in, and I got online etcetc.

Then I decided I wanted to put the OS on a different, better drive.

I installed XP fresh onto the better drive, again, no hiccups, drivers went in etc. Then I noticed my Nforce network controller wasn't present.

My mobo is an ASUS NODSUM, Southbridge nForce 4 410/430 MCP, and usually I have the 1394 adapter local connection and then the NForce network controller local connection 2.

I wondered if having the other drive in the system was causing some sort of overlapping conflict, so I unhooked that drive and tried again; still, no detection of the Nforce controller.

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
This may sound silly, but... is it enabled in the BIOS?

Assuming it is (probably is, but check anyhow)? What does devmgmt.msc say about it?? Does it appear @ all, & if so, does it appear w/ an exclamation point on it???

As far as device conflicts, device mgr. has features that can show if a piece of hardware is functioning properly or not, & has resource maps listed therein (rightclick on any equipment, & you'll see what I mean - but, sounds like you pretty much know what to do, but just are stuck).

NForce networking... iirc there were problems w/ certain mobos & the firewall that ships w/ many NForce mobos that have its network circuitry in place... avoid that piece of software I would think.

You MIGHT try disable the 1394, just for now, also & see what goes...

APK

P.S.=> Network cards CAN be 'tricky', & sometimes, the oem of them sets them up "Too Radical" in the settings for the hardware (driver parameterizations) & I've seen that before when I worked for CableVision in NYC/LI area - a certain model of DELL system would NOT work w/ Motorola Surfboard 4200 cablemodems (most compatible there is imo) OR their Terayon Terajet cablemodems.

DELL blamed us, & we in turn, blamed them...

Turned out, one day while researching it, I went into those 'said parameterizations for the driver' (Advanced tab for device properties on NICS), and lo & behold: I made a couple "less intense" & voila - the thing worked!

DELL ate it on that one... I don't think your hassle is like this, but, one never knows until one tries OR @ least takes a peek @ things, & all that stuff! apk

Last edited:

Testing

It's just interesting how the only thing different between the two installs is the drives they are physically on.

I boot one drive, it's there, I boot the other, it's not there and never was.

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
It's just interesting how the only thing different between the two installs is the drives they are physically on. I boot one drive, it's there, I boot the other, it's not there and never was.

I think your idea of it possibly having an interrupt conflict (or other) per devmgmt.msc right-click, use properties menu may shed some light on that for you... it's the ONLY way I can figure out that you can look @ that to see if you are right here, with tools native to the Operating System that is.

Good luck man...

APK

Testing

Looks like the ethernet driver(S) in the Nvidia download packet were the wrong ones.

It's working now, and as for why the other identical XP worked with the wrong Nforce drivers, might be that the system 'stole' the proper driver from the old OLD XP before.

Praise be to low maintenanced european redirect sites!

Thanks for the tips!

Alec§taar

Looks like the ethernet driver(S) in the Nvidia download packet were the wrong ones.

Man... that's way odd! I suppose it could happen though... no questions asked, human beings make mistakes.

It's working now, and as for why the other identical XP worked with the wrong Nforce drivers, might be that the system 'stole' the proper driver from the old OLD XP before.

That IS possible... if it was on the diskdrive, it's possible I suppose.

Praise be to low maintenanced european redirect sites!

LOL!

Thanks for the tips!

Oh, you're welcome I suppose, but you did the work & fixed it yourself!

:)

* Good job!

APK