1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mixing Crucial and Corsair

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Atnevon, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. Atnevon

    Atnevon

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2007
    Messages:
    443 (0.17/day)
    Thanks Received:
    29
    Hey Ya'll.

    So I am thinking about buying a set of 2gb (2 x 1gb) of ram for my rig. Currently I have some Crucial Ballistix that I got back in October. I wish I got more, but I have heard there are a bad batch out and fear getting some bad ones.

    My current setup is 4-4-4-12 at 2.2v. Now, the closest I believe I can find is these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
    The Corsair XMS2.

    Now, on the Newegg page it tells me they run at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1. I know to have the set-up synced I should have both at either 2.1, or 2.2v. This is what worries me.

    I wonder if anyone else has experience running these brands together. Would it be ok to run. If I did, I'm sure I would have to run a MemTest for a while. I'm just wondering how the Crucials would hold up to that .1 extra juice.

    Or should I just try and chance getting what is out on the market now, chance on the Ballistix, and prey I don't have to RMA. Rebates make this a bitch at the moment.

    My set-up is a 680i A1 EVGA board, with a Q6600. Full specs are on my tab.

    Thank you to anyone who can offer advice.
    -Andrew
     
  2. PVTCaboose1337

    PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2006
    Messages:
    9,512 (2.96/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,143
    Location:
    San Antonio, Texas
    You really will be fine giving the ram the extra voltage. As long as you match up the sticks with each other in dual channel, you should have pretty good perf.

    I personally would ditch my 2 x 1 gb kit (i have one) and grab a 2 x 2 gb kit (which i will do) since ram prices are so cheap!
     
  3. [I.R.A]_FBi

    [I.R.A]_FBi New Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    7,664 (2.79/day)
    Thanks Received:
    540
    Location:
    c:\programs\kitteh.exe
  4. Atnevon

    Atnevon

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2007
    Messages:
    443 (0.17/day)
    Thanks Received:
    29
    I would too. But then agian, its cheaper for me to just get another set at this price, then ditch what I already have for the same thing.
     
  5. sneekypeet

    sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2006
    Messages:
    21,666 (6.89/day)
    Thanks Received:
    6,177
    Personally I wouldnt mix the Corsair and the Crucial, unless you are planning to run bone stock!

    Also I am in process of getting a RMA from crucial on my kits, they are still the same ballistix in the PC6400 speed. The downgrade comes in the 1066MHz sticks.

    I say get two more Crucials, possibly mix some Tracers in there , if you are keen about the lights!
     
    Atnevon says thanks.
  6. WarEagleAU

    WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    10,803 (3.53/day)
    Thanks Received:
    547
    Location:
    Gurley, AL
    I agree with Sneeky here. I really wouldnt mix the two brands, and its not a preferrable recommendation to do that either. Ive had nothing but troubles doing that in the past in the DDR400 flavor. I get another set of crucials like he suggested.
     
    Atnevon and sneekypeet say thanks.
  7. Atnevon

    Atnevon

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2007
    Messages:
    443 (0.17/day)
    Thanks Received:
    29
    Ok. I looked on newegg, and they have some of the new tracers for 65. With a 40 rebate. I believe I may look into this more. I like the new sets because they have the LED skirt on them. I guess if I don;t like the blinky lights, I can always put a piece of electrical tape over them. Man I kick myself for not getting the lanfest when I had the chance.
     
  8. lemonadesoda

    lemonadesoda

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Messages:
    6,266 (2.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    968
    I've not had a lot of problems mixing and matching so long as you stay within official JEDEC. But if you overclock, you will very likely end up with small timing differences that create a headache for the northbridge. It could be hit-or-miss. Stable at stock, and unstable in overclock. But there is still a small chance of problems at stock if you are unlucky.

    I would suggest getting a fresh 4GB kit and ebaying your old RAM while it still has some value. Dont let it sit in the cupboard. It will very quickly devalue when new technology (or speeds) are round the corner.

    2x 2GB also uses less power than 4x 1GB.

    PLUS, in a few years time, if your machine is relegated to a backup device, you could always use the free slots to pick up some second hand 2GB sticks to take it to 8GB NAS/dataserver :)
     

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page