1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

mmo decision

Discussion in 'Games' started by moocow0463, Jun 23, 2008.

1. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    ok so i think i wanna get into another mmo, i played WoW for quite a while but its been over played now and is quite boring none the less so i canceled my subscription a while back and im looking for something new,i played the LOTRO demo and i wasn't satisfied at all, all the hype about it yet it didnt please me any bit. i have a few ive been looking into any other suggestions, comments, game experience let me know!!

Age of Conan(really leaning tward this one but im skeptical about the graphics as i havent seen much info on it, but the live combat hack/slash controls seem appealing)

D&D online (has a trial going on right now i might try it see how it is)

warhammer online (looks decent still in beta tho)

2. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    em eq2 ia great game.
    final fantasy 11 is awesome as well. but the game takes time to play :) so if your a casual player then i will not recommend it
    Vanguard has improved allot since release aswell. id recomend that aswell
    i canceled my AOC sub...i got bored as hell at lvl 60

3. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    EVE-Online. it's very similar to Privateer and Earth & Beyond. very old, very popular (alot of Star Wars Galaxies, Anarchy Online and even WoW players migrated to), has one of the best lightweight engines considering the intense visuals and economy is completely player driven.

- Christine

4. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes EVE is a great game.

5. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my only complaint with EVE is the agent missions which is basically "default" missions in other MMO's you usally make alot of money off them but in EVE you don't. EVE encourages you to create your own income Bounty Hunting, Mining, Trading and Manufacturing but it's not like other MMO where you choose your "profession" if you want to Trade you simply purchase a Freighter and check the market to find an item like ship parts or spirits find a station that is selling them cheap and another that is willing to buy them. no matter what your real goal is to join a corporation (clan) to share resources, make a bigger income and most importantly war which is basically a significant piece of the galaxy (pvp zone) that belongs to everybody but corporations fight over territory like the risk board game via creating a space station, defenses, etc.

I think they have a free 14 day trial.

- Christine

6. nick_1992

Thanks Received:
    they have a 21 day trail if your get it off steam

7. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    age of conan is really nice but lacks content after around level 55

8. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep...i got bored at 60.... :(

9. Ongaku New Member

Thanks Received:
    play some Anarchy Online, I think it's alot different from other MMOs, very complex skill systems and awesome PvP...plus you get a free year to play before you pay ;) (which all pay to play games should do....)

10. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im going to have to disagree on that with you calvary, Ive made more money from missions, LP and faction mods than i ever did in 0.0, But on everything else your correct, you are encouraged to go it alone and interact with players more but missioning is a nice little earner if done properly for the right faction cough***caldari ***cough :).

Also take a look here for some Eve vids some pretty cool ones and the empyrean age one is best yet.

11. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    eq2 dissapointed me, i played eq1 for im not sure how long, i quit eq1 to play ffxi which was a great game but people started leaving ffxi so i went to WoW from there, so i have high expectations, im not worried about the computer requirements im sure i can meet and exceed most with my setup, but i would like cutting edge graphics, good population PVP is a plus, ill check out EVE demo see how it is

12. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    how about lotro :)

13. moocow0463

Thanks Received:
    im gonna have to say a big NO on that one i played the demo for 3 days before it got old, the quests are so boreing, people are very non-interactive, might as well play guild wars, ill look into EVE its way different then any mmo ive seen, your a spaceship:confused:?

14. Azazel

Azazel New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol. lotro is just a regular mmo with different skin

15. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Its tough to choose the right MMO. none of them are perfect and they all will lack something that you want.

WoW is probably the most complete MMO out there, however it is played out and old and you probably wont do anything ground breaking while playing.

Vanguard is decent, and probably one of the more complete games, though it does have slight performance issues as well as low population.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I could recommend EQ2. Above-par graphics, alright gameplay but its kind of "blah." Also, be prepared to map out your entire keyboard for shortcuts. lot of buttons to press. Combat system isnt quite as involved as Vanguard's.

Dungeons and Dragons Online is really fun. I'm going to recommend playing it if you havent. It's a little different from most MMOs. Unique combat system. Probably the most interactive spell casting game around. But be warned, you will probably re-roll a character 2-3 times at first until you get your stats just right. And spend a lot of time planning out your character.

my 2 Cp :)

16. olithereal

olithereal New Member

Thanks Received:
    WoW was damn fun pre-bc, both for raiders and PvPers...I used to pvp a lot, mainly World pvp, but now WoW has gotten really boring with the arenas, and the flying mounts, both of these have killed a major pvp aspect of the game: world pvp.

With burning crusade you will never see any 2raids vs 2raids of 40 people jumping on each other while on their way to an instance *cough* black rock mountain *cough*

So , I don't recommend WoW if you really like pvp, arenas can be fun for a few games, but with time (matter of days) it gets really boring, and Battleground farming gets old fast trust me.

17. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i must say WoW has begun to dissapoint me, my lock "häagendots" on thunderlord has been back and forth with every class except a druid which i refuse to use for shit and the fact is you really can't beat them anymore. I fee WoW is to unbalanced and although the leveling has been made much quicker, it drags at 70 farming av for the s2 gear so you can even half attempt to compete for s4 gear. And the following wow attracts are all 10 year olds whom have no idea of the concept of teamwork so it's hard to find good raiding guilds. Not to mention even the low pop. servers are overpopulated. I still enjoy playing especially battlegrounds, but if eel like i'm just grinding now. I'm looking forward to wrath of the lich king. Hopefully they bring some balance to wow, if not then it's eve or anarchy for me. They both seem fun and more balanced.

18. nick_1992

Thanks Received:
    Eve is lots of fun if you can get past the learning curve and being in a space craft