1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

mobile APU and discrete radeon crossfire?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by wesley_farkenharder, Feb 12, 2014.

1. wesley_farkenharder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking at a laptop, nut suite what cpu, but the guy says the gpus are :

Radeon™ HD 7660G + HD 7670M Dual Graphics

Can they crossfire?

Any idea what the cpu is? At first the guy said a8, then he said a10, now he its saying it is dual core.....

I want to pay some games, I'm not hardcore or anything, but would this be a workable system?

Here is his copy pasted sys info:

Processor CPU AMD DUAL-Core
    CPU Cache 4MB
    Category ATIV Book 2
    Usage Everyday
    Color Titan Silver Display
    LCD Size 15.6"
    Type LED HD Resolution 1366 x 768
    Brightness 220 nits
    System Memory 6GB Memory Type DDR3 (1600 MHz) Max. System Memory 8GB
    Storage Capacity 500GB
    Storage Technology 5400
    Storage Interface SATA2
    Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon™ HD 7660G + HD 7670M Dual Graphics External or Integrated External Maximum Graphics Memory 1GB ODD Optical Disk Drive DVD +/-RW Super Multi Dual Layer (S-ATA) Sound & Camera Speaker 3W Stereo Speaker (1.5W x 2) Sound Effect SoundAlive™ Web Cam 1.3MP HD Internal Mic Yes Wireless Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n Bluetooth 4.0 I/O Ports VGA Yes HDMI Yes DVI Port Yes (1 port) Headphone Out Yes Microphone In Yes USB Ports (Total) 2 x USB 2.0 + 2 x USB 3.0 Multi Card Slot 3- in-1 (SD/SDHC/SDXC) RJ45 (LAN) Yes Input Devices Touch Pad / Track Point Scroll Scope, Flat Type Numeric Keypad Yes Power AC Adapter 60 W / 90 W AC Adapter* *Adapter is different depend on system Number of Cells / Cell Type 6 cell / Li-Ion Watt Hours 48 Battery Life Up to 4.6 hours Test Used Mobile Mark 2012 test Security & Safety Security Slot Yes Dimensions System Dimensions (L x W x H, Inch) 14.6" x 9.5" x 1.29" Weight System Weight (w/Std. Battery, lb.) 5.14 lb.

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Apparently they can. Yes it will certainly be a workable system. An A10 with dual GPU will run games just fine on that resolution. Nothing like Crysis 3 on high settings, but certainly mainstream games on medium.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like a newer variation of my laptop. the dual core is because the quad core versions had lloooooooow clock speeds, really crippling them for gaming.

expect to run modern games on low or medium, and you'll be fine.

4. wesley_farkenharder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it turned out that it was an under powered e series without additional graphics.

Ugh.

And the search continues... :-(

Mussels says thanks.
  5. wesley_farkenharder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I finally purchased an A10 with six gigs for 379$.

Seemed like the best deal i could find. Now I'm going to play hard core games like civ III!!!!!!!!!!

6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:

check this one out Samsung NP355V5C

i have one and it plays games with medium settings. i can play good games like GRID 2 etc on high as well.
    but i only use the discrete for gaming. using both in games will give you problems. :p

7. wesley_farkenharder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found that machine refurbished for my price range, but it was sold out :(

The one i ended up buying doesn't include a video card.

But, lucky for me, i haven't payed video games in many years so even eight year old games are new to me :) and cheap on steam!!

8. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    mine cost me 500$

cards without discrete gpu but an amd apus are also better. you can play lots of online games that are free to play like tf2, dota etc.

9. wesley_farkenharder New Member

Thanks Received:

I'm really excited! I haven't played videogames in years and years really. I rejected them in order to focus on social popularity. I learned people are mean, so I'm going to dedicate my free time to video games :)

I bought my first pc to play Civ I. Now I bought a pc hoping to play Civ V.

Always favored the under dog amd, I'm glad I have a good reason to favor them now. Gotta love the apu.

10. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    just because you play video games does not mean you are social

stereotyping like that is idiotic nowadays. pretty much everyone plays video games now.

11. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    that resolution is rather poor for a 15.6" screen. my 11.6" HP DM1 has the exact same resolution - its fine for that but i expected better from a 15.6" - i guess thats part of the reason why the laptop is so cheap.

12. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    I believe he stated otherwise, playing less games means more socializing ... you know, old school "being there" socializing

wesley_farkenharder says thanks.
  13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    still at that res, it has a better pixel density than most 19" desktops screens.

14. wesley_farkenharder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you.

I used to have this rule, i wouldn't own tv, internet, or video games. Just a basic cell phone. Hanging out with friends, house parties, concerts, raves, dance clubs, bon fires, etc, was my main focus. So much fun.

Video games, tv, and the internet provide too much of an opportunity to just pull back from real life interaction and zone out.

I'm over that now, at least until i move to a new city this summer. Right now its going to be all video games and movies!

I just have to get the machine in my hands so Ican upgrade that ram from 4x2 to 8x8. 16 gigs of ram is going to be bad ass!

Any suggestions for a low cost place to buy ram? I normally think Crucial, but they seem expensive