1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mobo for a 2600k?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Zaspera, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking about replacing my 1090T with an i7-2600k, but not sure which board to get. I would like it to be blue if possible. It also needs to be a 6GB/s board and support Crossfire.

edit: It doesn't have to be blue, but it can't be red.

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
  3. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    If only it wasn't red. :(

4. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Asus Maximus Extreme IV....http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153071

You can find out what I have to say about it here..... or you can look into it at New Egg.... either way ti si a great board!!!

Another board i would suggest..... Would be the Gigabyte Sniper2 Z68

5. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    Red boards! AHHH!

6. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    well if Red isn't your thing check out the Gigabyte Board that I suggested the Sniper 2 Z68 or the MSI GD80 Z68 Gen 3

7. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hot as in super duper awesome?

10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Should be fairly good, although there have been some user reports with issues @ high multis on the GD65. I reviewed the GD65 several weeks back. Take a look:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z68A-GD65-G3/

The GD80 has a few more features, more VRM phases, and such, and should be the better performer of the two. It had been a while since I looked at MSI boards, and I was definitely impressed by the GD65. Sadly, no GD80 for me.

11. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    This one is the GD80..really not sure of the difference

This is my first time shopping for an Intel board. I've always used AMD.

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Should be better than the GD65, altohugh probably won't offer much mroe in terms of overclocking...should provide more stable power with more phases, though. Also different PCIe configuration, maybe a drive controller or something, too. Of course, I am refering to the G3 board...

That linked board is NOT the G3 board. It also does not have the new fancy UEFI BIOS, unless rolled out since the launch of the G3 products.

13. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya, I figured the price meant it wasn't the best/G3 board. I can't find the Gen3 on Newegg.

14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Based on who did reviews already, and the dates they were posted, I expect the board to be in retail shortly, if not already(later this week, maybe next week). I had the GD65 long before it was in stores, too, by about a month.

Kinda shocked MSI didn't send me one, TBH, gonna have to hit them up and see what the story there is, becuase if they had, maybe I could answer your questions a bit more directly.

But with no board, I cannot even attempt to guess why you should chose the GD80 over the GD65, unless you prefer the slot layout.

15. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know much about mobos other than I need it to support 4x 4GB 1600MHz, 6GB/s, and Crossfire support. So you think I should just go with the 65?

16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I don't see any reason why not. There is some comments in my review thread you might want to have a gander at; seems some users are having some throttling issues, and EarthDog hasn't confirmed the new BIOS fixed the problem for him. I didn't have the same issue, but again, my board was pre-retail; The BIOS I used for the review is not one available to the general public, although MSI told me they were flashing it to the retail boards before shipping them out.

And becuase of that, I do suggest you do some research first...I had no issues, at all, but some users did.

17. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya, I'm reading through your review now. That BIOS screen looks sweet.

18. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

As I said in the review, there are a few too many pages, but again, I did provide feedback to MSI, and was told that that was an area they were looking to improve, as the BIOS was really new when I played with the board.

The MSI of today is far, far better than the MSI of jsut two years ago. They are making fantastic progress in bringing us better products, for sure.

20. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't the whole switch to Intel thing "out of the question" just a few days ago, according to yourself?

21. Zaspera New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was a possibility, but I just didn't want to do it because I lost my Intel bracket for the H70. I'm waiting for an answer to my H100 thread and if it can work as planned I'll be grabbing this board and a 2600k this weekend.

22. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am actually lookiing to go the SB way aswell and have been looking at motherboards with PCI-E 3.0 and Ivy Bridge compatible, but can't decide between the Fatality Gen3 and MSI GD65 Gen3; Is the "Military Class" and Things suchas "Gold Capacitors" on the boards supposed to be a deciding argument?

Also does Gen3 mean it's 100% going to be PCI-E 3.0 compatible?

PS: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 also looks pretty interesting at its pricepoint

23. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    what about gigabyte G1 series ?

24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it IS supposed to mean EXACTLY that.

I will be personally investigating PCIe 3.0 compatibility and performance as devices become available on the market.

The MSI Z68A GD65(G3) "Military Class" components refers to the High-C capacitors, Super Ferrite Chokes, and solid aluminum capacitors, each with longer lifespans than that of other similar components. I cannot comment on the ASRock boards until they send me a sample and i can test them myself.

I am currently using the G1.Sniper2 I reviewed in my gaming rig. It's a very capable board, but it's not a "real" overclocking board. It can still use a BIOS update, while the MSI board worked great with all the memory i have onhand from day one. I cannot say the same about the G1.Sniper2 with memory compatibility, however, it's intended market is not the same as the MSI board, which is 100% geared for maximum overclocking.

Animalpak and Jegergrim say thanks.
  25. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you know if one should refraint from NF200 chip on motherboards if ones goal is to have PCI-E 3.0 capeability? I won't be running SLI/CF, but unaware whether the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Mobo uses this chip, and I have been reading that any board with this chip willl not be Gen 3 capeable... Will only be doing light overclocking, so I feel like the MSI/Fatality might be abit overkill (primarily gaming)