1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mobo fried, need help migrating to a new one

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by btarunr, Apr 4, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Background:
    A power outage fried my ASUS M3A32-MVP. It had three HDDs connected:
    • Two Seagate 500 GB drives in a RAID 0, the SB600 RAID controller, primary Windows installation
    • An 80 GB IDE drive which held a Fedora 10 installation.

To replace the dead board, I bought a Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H (mATX, AMD 780G+SB700). I went for a cheap replacement, as I plan to get rid of this AMD hardware soon.

Setting its SATA mode to "RAID", the board was able to recognize the RAID 0 logical drive. To recover data from the RAID 0 (I suck at backups), I reinstalled Fedora 10 on the IDE drive, used MDRAID and NTFS-3G to mount the RAID 0 volume. I was able to recover all my data.

The problem is that when I reboot the machine, and try to boot with the Windows XP installation CD, the system just blanks out. The keyboard is responsive (I can ctrl+alt+del), but the screen shows nothing. The CD drive stops blinking, and the HDD LED on the case stays red.

I tried setting the SATA controller to IDE mode and starting with the Windows CD, no luck. Have you had a similar experience? what did you do?

I'm using the 780G IGP, with 128 MB Sideport + 128 MB Shared memory, if that makes a difference.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:
    Did you remove the raid volume before you tried to install windows? Go into your bios and make sure you have it to boot to cdrom and disable it booting to anything else, until you get it straight. You may have to enter the raid bios and delete raid array and create a new one. ALLEN

btarunr says thanks.
  3. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    The RAID volume is there. I set the boot order as CDROM > HDDs > Floppy. Under HDDs, the priority is RAID_LD > IDE_disk.

I want to just format the RAID logical drive for a fresh install. The system just doesn't boot the Windows CD. It had no problems booting from and installing Fedora.

I don't think the Windows CD has problems. I am able to boot my laptop (start the installer) with it.

4. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    If possible; try and find a discrete video card to plug in there to see if it's related to issues with the onboard IGP, while trying to boot up off the WinXP CD.

During the POST screen you can hit F12 and select CDROM, to boot off the WinXP CD. This is just an alternative method, and overrides any boot order listed in the BIOS for that session...

btarunr says thanks.
  5. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Trying...

6. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    No luck :(

I can see the line "Inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..." and then it goes blank. The HDD LED stays bright on, while the CD shows no activity, and gradually spins down.

7. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's certainly possible something is flaky (from the power outage), with regards to the HDDs and/or the optical drive.

Seems the PC is trying to access the HDDs, but isn't liking what it's detecting.

You could try disconnecting the three HDDs and starting the PC with a single HDD (3 tests) in native IDE mode; then giving the WinXP CD boot a shot.

I'm grasping at straws here; but PC hardware can be nutty after abnormal electrical events...

btarunr says thanks.
  8. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, FYI, the two drives are connected to SATA ports 0 and 1 (printed on the board), while BIOS sees them as ports 3 and 4. What's more, the BIOS is treating ports 0, 1, 2, 3 differently from ports 4 and 5. There's an option to set ports 0, 1, 2, 3 to RAID/AHCI/IDE, and a seperate such option for ports 4 and 5. All ports are connected to the SB700 (I can't see another storage controller on this board).

9. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:
    If its a raid volume from another motherboard thats you problem.

10. jagass New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean replacing your mobo?...

11. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Replaced mobo doesn't boot from the Windows install CD.

12. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know I'm not helping here, but does this mean we aren't going to get any front page news updates?!? :D

13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you try a different optical drive? I've had two burn out on me last year for no good reason. :ohwell:

btarunr says thanks.
  14. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    This drive seems to be reading fine:

[​IMG]

It's an nLite-created copy which worked well earlier. The same drive read and installed Linux. I will try with a new drive tomorrow anyway.

15. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    It worked.

When the CD booted, I was given a prompt by Windows installer saying something along the lines of "Setup could not determine the machine architecture of this PC", and showed two options: "Generic i486", and "Other", which asked for a manufacturer floppy. I selected "Generic i486", proceeded with installation, and here's what I have now:

[​IMG]

3/4th of my processor went missing.

16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear.:) Both my bad drives would read fine as well, when it came to writing files or installing windows to a HDD it would fail. :toast:

17. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    I installed this OS onto the 80 GB IDE drive, and enabled the RAID driver. Now I have access to my RAID 0, but unfortunately not my Documents and Settings folder which I "protected" (made exclusive).

[​IMG]

Any way I can gain access to it?

If I manage to start that installation with its Recovery Console, can I xcopy my Documents and Settings folder?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  18. OmegaAI

OmegaAI New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should be able to crack your folder with an app. They are not hard to find and most of the time Vista can open them if give some time to decode it.