1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Modern Warfare 2 shock: No servers or mods for PC version!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nick89, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I think its great what IW is doing. NOW maybe some of you realize the damage these new "next-gen" platforms are doing to the industry as a whole.

1. Generic graphic standards for all due to hardware limitations.
    2. Paying for DLC.
    3. Socialized multiplayer.

I predict the next step will be to end keyboard and mouse support during gameplay.

2. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    Don't give them any ideas.:rolleyes:

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Trust me. Its coming. 99% of play testing is done with a 360 controller already.

Oh and I forgot this jem.

4. Equal pricing. 59.99 for digital downloads.

4. cyriene

cyriene New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this more IW's fault or Activision's? It seems Activision has been acting pretty crappy lately and they're bringing down Blizzard as well.
    I remember reading, here maybe, that Activision would no longer develop PC only games, so I don't know how that will affect Blizzard, but probably not for the better IMO.

It seems Activision doesn't care too much for the PC market and instead would rather develop for consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a plan to show how the PC version didn't sell as well as anticipated, and piracy is ruining PC gaming as a way to justify neglecting the system.

5. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Man this sucks. I'm just going to be playing Forza 3 the whole time now.

6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    ill tell you now cod 4 was a big game for clans and a lot of clans depend on dedicated servers
    this will damage the game in those terms

im not surprised that MW2 is going to be download and retail price match, when really you would think it would be cheaper to distribute online so you would expect a little price cut plus there is no physical media to hold which makes a difference for some

this is stupid i cant imagine why activision are doing this, they pandered to the crowd by even creating a modern warfare setting

Did you know that infinity ward did not want to create a game based in a modern setting war?

7. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    So basically this has turned into a hate thread towards IW and MW2.

8. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, and rightfully so.

jmcslob, rpsgc and AsRock say thanks.
  9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I just sent this over to a local forum, bunch more people canceling their pre-orders and signing the petition. :)

Let's pwn these nubs thinkin they can take away our dedicated servers and elite mods.

10. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.

I still cant believe they've done this.

11. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have canceled my pre order after learning about this yesterday. Hopefully the first CODMW will still be as active as it is currently.

12. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    when i said that activision as a company wanted to increase price across the board on all games no one said that was horrible

now they take away a few basic game features and people are up in arms

i support the fight to have dedicated servers and mods but i also support the fight against activison

i can sign any petitions you want but i fear the general population and console vote will crush it before it gets off its feet

13. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'll probably get flamed for saying this:

I don't really care that there are no dedicated servers, or user mods. There were no good mods for COD:MW, so I don't really see it as a loss that MW2 won't allow them.

As long as I can still start and host my own game, I don't care about dedicated servers that much.

Neither of these features are required, or even that great.

And the server/hosting system has actually become a lot better, to the point where the idea of a dedicated server seems kind of outdates. Now, when the person hosting the game drops out, another player takes over hosting the game, I like that. If it comes at the expense of allowing dedicated servers, I'm all for it.

Castiel says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  14. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    true but having dedicated servers is much better for competitive play. if anything this hurts the players who love a lot of serious competition and mod creation to improve the game. casual gamers (IE console gamers) are uneffected.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    RUN NEWTEKIE RUN, THERE COMING WITH PITCHFORKS

16. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    There are practice and drill servers that are necessary to tune competitive play for PC versions. Without dedicated servers stuff like this would not be possible.

17. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    HAHA you think console gamers are casual gamers? i don't i find them to be very hardcore infact i know a lot of them who have ridiculous amount of hours racked up in COD4 i mean like months worth.. it's pretty disgusting.

But i get what your saying none the less.

18. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    No console gamer can do what any Pro level PC gamers have done.

19. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    Not gonna flame you but some people like me are decent at the game and goto tournaments and play for hardware and money. I really enjoyed doing this with COD4 more then CS or CSS. Alot of people had very high hopes for this game as far as league play and now that is just out the window thats why i wont be buying it and i will continue playing COD4 and other games.

20. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    That actually makes me feel abit better bout this server thing. :ohwell:
    I'll still buy MW2 partly as i still think MW is cracking online so was looking forward to MW2.
    But mainly as i promissed my 10yr old lad i'd buy him it. Hes even saved most his birthday money to put towards.

So as i'll be buying MW2 regardless hope its still a cracking online game.

21. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    the way I am seeing it now, if you want modern warfare you might as well buy the 360 version, it will be less of a hassle, and you can be sure there will be hacks galore for the PC version when this game comes out and no dedicated servers might = less enforcement, I think this is what activision is aiming for.

22. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    This reminds me of the FEAR2 dedicated server BS.

I find it ironic that ATI and Nvidia keep pushing them selves year after year to make the best gaming GPUs possible while developers slowly retire their efforts to make PC gaming thrive.

Consoles are the way of the future.... sure it's a lazy, standardized, easy to control future but you should embrace it anyway. Just like Mac.

*signed petition anyway... even though it wont change anything.

23. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    I don't like matchmaking period. I play on 2-3 servers in COD4 and they are very good servers with the same nice people.

You wont have that luxury with sh*tty matchmaking in CODmw2, you will get randomly stuck into some shitty server where everyone has 200 ping and it is laggy as hell. Also the people on the server will be total DB's and the like. Then you quit the server then wait for matchmaking to find you another crappy server to play on and it take 10 minutes just for the matchmaking system to find you a server, and don't even think about changing your server preferences that will add another 10-15 minutes to find a server.

24. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry Consoles are not the future. Unless you take the fact that they are becoming more and more like PC's then they are (Hardware Wise, Maybe even Software Wise one day).

I wonder if IW did a deal with some ISP providers. Think about it, this forces people to get better ISP to host.

25. rampage

Thanks Received:
    this remindes me of operation flashpoint dragon rising and how there is no dedicated for it, the user has to host there own games. and that sucks in australia where most people are still on adsl (not adsl2) and have uplaods of 35 kb/s and quite often less, every one hosts a map and tries for 10 or more players and have pings of 100 or less then it starts up and all the pings go to shit, yay for online gaming