1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Modern Warfare 2 shock: No servers or mods for PC version!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nick89, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    We can all agree on one thing, we can't say we didn't see this coming in regard to PC games becoming less and less, plus getting bitch slapped more and more often. Sad is what it is. Funny how they say developers are loosing so much money to people pirating games yet look how much their going to loose to their own ignorance. Bitch slap right back at em.:slap:Then one in the balls to finish it off:nutkick:
  2. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    signed.
  3. odameyer

odameyer

Thanks Received:
    Holy F*****G S**T, the nerve in them. Matchmaking is HORRIBLE, does Medal of Honor:Airborne ring any bells? and without mods I have no reason to play call of duty after a month or two. EVERYONE SIGN IT! :wtf:
  4. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I keep coming back to is the fact that they are going to have to pay for the servers that host the game. Wouldn't this cost take a significant amount out of the profit from the game? I mean MW2 Sold millions of copies. Now think about how many servers they are going to need running to support for this kind of community.
  5. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So if they sold two million copies at 60 buck a pop then that would yield 120 million. I'm sure they could afford a few servers with that kind of cash. Cost of a server becomes pocket change. They just don't want to support it or deal with, so the hell with em.
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You are wrong. They had less than 8 months total to make CoD3. They had more time to make UO for g-d sake. Source. Like I said Treyarch may not be the "creator" of the Call of Duty series but they did make it better than IW ever did. Treyarch added vehicles and IW took them out. Now IW dropped the whole zombie thing too. Sorry but its IW thats hit bottom.
    jmcslob says thanks.
  7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I have a question? Just how many signatures do we need exactly to open IW eyes? Or does it not even matter and it is just there to show how how much pain they are causing/ How many people aren't buying?
  8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    WaW i did not like but that might just be me.
    No Cod had been as good as the first and its expansion UO.
    Treyarch made bad games well before Cod3, finest hour and all that crap.

If a games not even as good as Allied Assult then that is something crap because even by the time Treyarch started making PS2 games MOH AA was already an old game.

Im not buying modern warfare 2, im not in a clan and im not a hardcore players.

FACT the campaign has been said to be the same length as COD4 which i felt was short.
    FACT a lot of the fanboys have never even played the PC originals.
  9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Not really. I haven't like a single Treyarch since UO. IW has been better since cod2. Treyarch hit there peak with UO, hit the bottom with 3 and has never recovered. I still think MW is better than WaW, and Treyarch had a 2 year dev time on it.

No, no, it's Treyarch that's already in the sewer, and IW that's on the way.

And what good are vehicles when they suck to use?
  10. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    500,000 will make them take serious notice, 1,000,000 will intimidate them, 2,000,000 will set panic.
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently you have never ran over an opposing team with a jeep while blasting "combination of the two" by Janis Joplin. :laugh: Anyway this argument is turning into a "My dad is stronger than yours" kinda bicker. Can we agree IW sucks just for today? :laugh:
  12. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    5,000,000 will put them out of business because Best Buy will refuse to sell their product from there on out :laugh: :toast:

Sadly I think your numbers are pretty much probably right and really while we can try I doubt they will do anything about it, maybe in a patch down line... Maybe....
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Off topic: is my avy annoying? Its starting to piss me off for some reason.
    Woody112, Nick89, Scrizz and 1 other person say thanks.
  14. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    No. Ballmer ftw.
  15. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I think things could be a lot worse, how the game looks to play out in the vids appears solid and exciting to me, but then I enjoyed the hell out of MW, playing through SP many times and I was hooked on MP from day one. Now hearing about the no-dedi servers and no mods is extremely dissapointing but it's not the end of the world for this guy. If the MP is solid, and I can track my buddies via steam and join a game they're in and vice-versa, I'll be content. I don't mind dedicated servers, especially for scrims and clan matches.

I think MW2 can still be a damn fine title and extremely successful, but without those two things, IW better be very certain that the level of polish and options elsewhere are that much more worth it, and then a bag of chips. Getting this kind of negative news after so many months of hype and excitement is a very bad thing obviously, but I think there's a reason behind why they decided to announce it now...and really I still have hopes for a Steam provided dedicated client in the future, similar to how L4D's worked.

I did sign the petition, but at the same time that doesn't mean I will not purchase the game...there's still more to do in SP, now with coop stuff, and even with matchmaking a very strong MP element, all of which sounds to be a damn good game to me. Looking through all the bullshit, I still see a solid shooter that could kick some serious ass and possibly even end up with dedicated and mod support in the future, especially if things keep going this way, they will want to keep players in the game...and will give in. MW rocked, WaW was OK, CoD2 was kickass and UO was amazing, all of them I like, but I gotta say I enjoyed MW MP the most with my clan out of all of them...not many games get the fast paced adrenalin pumping experience you can achieve from MW's MP...I hope to see that again in MW2. And if it fails, well I have borderlands on preorder and Bad Company 2 to look forward to in the future, but I'm pretty confident that MW2 will still kickass, it just needs to be that much more-so if it wants to make the sales it might be losing now because of a couple simple things that are major to some, and a problem to many.

:toast:
  16. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    If it reaches 5,000,000, you're looking at a law-and-order problem. Massive shitstorm for governments :)

10,000,000 = tea-cup revolution.
  17. Woody112

Woody112 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like one of those guys, who's head you just want to put through a plate glass window for no good reason if you look at it long enough. Which is all of about 5 seconds. LOL
  18. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good old CS days where users rented servers and ran them...
  19. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I hear what you are saying but treyarch has a lot of fans due to their Expansion Packs.. how many extras did you get with MW 2 for 3 extra crappy boards...and what 3 expansion packs with WaW with 9 total 6 good boards plus Zombies...
    No unless IW reverses this...I promise I will never buy anything They are a part of ever again..But I will buy from treyarch As I'm sure they are LTAO at IW for such a stupid decision
    SORRY I'm gonna say IT WaW is BETTER than MW1
  20. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
  21. inf3rno

inf3rno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Petition'd Oh GOD what they are thinking to do.
  22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'm not directing this entirely at you, I just don't feel like going through and quoting all the other posts on this issue.

I don't see why you think 500k is a bad upload speed, or why it even really matters here. 500Kb/s is about the max upload speed you are going to get in the US on DSL, the large majority of people have 250Kb/s or less, cable being a little faster.

That asside, you don't need huge upload speeds to host a game. Large games with 25+ people will likely need a decent upload speed, but less than that should be fine with the lower upload speeds.

And besides all of that, what makes you think that the people with fast connections won't host games just like they are now? The clans and such that run dedicated servers in a server room, with huge connections will miss out some, but they will likely get machines capable of running standard hosted games rather quickly.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Just signed it
  24. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Do they even know that that petition exists? How are they suppose to know about it?
  25. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Even though I'm keeping my pre-order, I wonder how my local Gamestop is feeling, and see how many pre-orders has actually been canceled. And I live in a small town to.