1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ModRight ModMat Review

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Forcefedflesh, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Forcefedflesh

Thanks Received:
    Hello Everyone!
    Today I am reviewing the ModRight ModMat thanks to FrozenCPU

PLEASE NOTE I SAID IT WAS OK TO SEND A MISPRINT FAN SPACING CHART ON THE MOD-MAT

First here is some Details about it...
    1200mm x 600mm which is over 47" x 23
    Anti-Static Wrist Strap Included (26" unstretched)
    Grounding Wire Clip Included (26" unstretched)
    Oversized Work Area Allows All Parts To Be Laid Out Safely Making Installation Easier.
    Surface Safe For ALL COMPONENTS Including PCB Boards, RAM, VGA Cards, and Expansion Cards.
    Non Scratch Surface Keeps High Finish Parts and Side Panels From Blemish (aka liquid cooling radiators, custom mod parts, and Window Panels)
    Easy Transport Carrying Box w/ Handle
    Fan Spacing Chart From 40mm to 140mm
    Inch and Millimeter Rulers For Handy Measurements
    Snaps for Anti-static Strap and Ground are Now Moved to the Top For More Work Space.

Heres some Pictures of the packaging
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a anti-static mat/Workspace,(To me at-least) for your computer hardware Handling the need to keep your components safe outside of the box.
    Its made of Rubber so straight off it will not conduct static, It comes with TWO snap in Grounding points that are so to say Stapled in but not with staples.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also have included a Grounding strap with a Elastic wrist strap to attach to yourself to the mod-mat, also a alligator Clip from the mod-mat to the case.
    The length of these cables alone are More then enough to do anything on the surface, including extra length if you have to grab something outside the area you are working on.

They even give you a nice little handle on the Box it comes in which seems durable as the package serves as a Case to the Mod-Mat and allows easy storage and carrying from place to place.

Now, as I said above, I did note that I said it was fine if they had a Miss Printed mod-mat and that it was fine to send it to me.

So as mine is misprinted, I can still tell its a 120mm/140mm fan ect. Because the corner of the fans lineup with the Center marker points in each circle for the fan holes.

This is just a nice handy thing to have on it just because if you have Smaller fans to larger fans, You can tell what each on is ESPECIALLY if you had them a long time and don't have it labeled.
    Also handy if you want to make something that fits each fan, like lets say a Side panel Acrylic window? You can make sure you dont make a mistake, as well as not scratch the surface if you need to drill the holes but have no way of Marking where first.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What I found that was maybe more useful to Modders then just a regular system builder is the fact it came with Inch and Millimeter rulers on it, and they are DEAD ACCURATE.
    Which is Necessary if you make a ruler on any product because if it is Slightly off it can ruin what you are making.
    There are 20inches on the Right side area 0inches to 20inches from top to bottom and 80CM on the are 0cm middle left bottom to 80cm the right bottom.
    (First one is Inches, Second is Millimeters)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now just to show you how big the space is, that's 1200mm x 600mm which is over 47" x 23

Its a Incredible amount of room for a anti-static work space, Here just to show you, it can fit quite a amount of hardware on it, but Im going to show you what it can fit regarding the Boxes everything comes in for a more FILLING area.
    Sadly my case is Pretty huge as it is a Haf-X so I'm not going to include it due to picture reasons.

I fit two GPU boxes, a PSU box, and a E-ATX Motherboard Box with the Mod-Mat and 2 120mm fans with some room to spare still.

[​IMG]

Putting it away is as easy as rolling it back up and putting it right in the box. The handle makes it easy to carry around.
    [​IMG]

Honestly, for 40$ from FrozenCPU you cant go wrong as you will pay MORE for less or Less for the same price.
    If you were to buy another Mat similar to this, you can also be paying 3x the cost or even more some places.

I've had a wonderful experience with this ModMat from ModRight and I hope to see more amazing products from them in the upcoming years.
    I would just simply have to say this is a MUST BUY for ANYONE.

There's only one con and that would have to be...
    -Preferably have the Grounding points Vertical instead of Horizontal to fit cases in that general area

Overall it has to get a 5/5

Since I also work on the Floor and stepped on it here and there, It was easy to clean off with just some wipes so if you get some TIM or something on it, will come off easily.

Please feel free to ask me something if you would like a Pic or Information regarding it in general.

Thanks for reading!
  2. Forcefedflesh

Thanks Received:
    Since I got asked a question before on how Thick it was, thought I would also post it here Just incase.
    I do not have anything to really measure the thickness so I am comparing it to a Memory's PCB thickness in the picture below.
    it's quite thin anyways so im sure alot of you would love this.
    [​IMG]
  3. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    This is up there on the most pointless tech related wastes of money I've seen
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    And your post is just as pointless. Congrats.
  5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    preventing scratches on your floor and anti-static is not a waste, especially when working with more sensitive things like the inside of routers ie: not just standard PC components, this IS useful, if you do alot of builds might as well buy this, especially at this price
  6. Forcefedflesh

Thanks Received:
    N-ster thats one way to put it such as preventing scratches on your floor, but also prevents scratches on your Freshly painted case if you did so.

Shibdib, I think you are not looking at this the correct way as I would love to know why its a waste, especially for a anti-static workspace alone.

Alot of people get sick of using antistatic bags and foam all around their area making a cluster when they can simply lay it down on this and be 100% worry free.
    n-ster says thanks.
  7. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    If your having static problems while building a pc ur doing it wrong.

And if you dont want to scratch up a countertop then stop building pc's on your moms kitchen table.
  8. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    how about on your wooden floor?

and while consumer PCs rarely have static problems, there are more specific cards/electronics that do
  9. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    not everyone has a workbench in their living room, and please tell me you aren't doing this work on your carpet.

I agree that this is more or less useless for home, but for work it would be more useful.
  10. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought one specifically due to the fact that after 5-6 years my desktop looks like poop. So with me spending this little bit I saved a ton of money on a new desk. I also like that I can clean it simply with just a bit of cloth and simply water, and it looks brand new!