1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor blacks out

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by yws1072, Aug 15, 2014.

1. yws1072 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, recently I've been suffering issues with my monitor blacking out. I have never had this problem before and I even tried out a new monitor to see if that was the problem. The computer that I have is less than 2 years old and nothing seemed to be wrong with it before. This problem occurred when I downloaded Dead Island Riptide. At random increments of time, my monitor would black out while playing that game and now, the problem seems to have transferred to other games as well. My monitor is connected to my graphics card through a VGA cable. I'm not sure what the problem is so thanks for your help.
    Computer specs
    8 Gb RAM
    MB: MS-7758
    GPU : GeForce GTX 660Ti
    CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770k
    PSU Corsair 650W

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    if you already tried a new monitor you've narrowed it down unfortunately. it's almost definitely your video card. it could be hardware, or software, if you can test your card in another machine that would tell you, otherwise can you rma it?

last would be a reinstall with clean drivers. good luck.

3. Magic 65 New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Take the video card out and make sure all dust is removed from the cooler all so you might want to re-apply the thermal grease ( some thing like MX2 ), all so download GPU-Z and check the temps and hopefully it will tell you the temps of the GPU as well as the vrm's.

All so check if the fan(s) are working on the card too check the case for dust build up, CPU and PSU which a lot of people forget to check the psu.

That's crazy,

5. Magic 65 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Plz, explain why do you think so

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If he has a video card issue pushing the card to it's max is no way to solve a issue and has a greater chance of making a solvable issue in to a none solvable issue.

We already know his games crash lets solve that issue before putting extra strain on the system.

And as for furmark it's the biggest piece of crap as a system never hits those silly power usages anyways.

64K says thanks.
  7. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You said you checked with another monitor, but have you tried another cable or were you using the same?

8. yws1072 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the help guys. I don't have the means of testing out my graphics card on another computer right now but I reinstalled the drivers and cleaned my pc of dust to the best of my ability. Hopefully my issues don't continue.

9. Final_Fighter

Thanks Received:
    it almost sounds like overheating. is it an oc edition card? if so downclock it a little to see if that helps, and definitely check the thermal paste.