• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor confusion

System Name DN
Processor i7 920
Motherboard P6T Delux
Cooling Cooler master
Memory Corsair 12GB RAM 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 4800 1gb
Storage Samsung 830 SSD 128gb
Case Antec
Power Supply 550w Antec
Software Win 8.1
Hi I'm a newbe really. Have a question about monitors.

I have a sapphire HD 7850 2gb oc in the mail.

I have 3 monitors, and I understand that there are 4 outputs.

1 x HDMI
1 x dual dvi
2 x mini display port

So I'm keen to use the HDMI and dvi, but I'm confused about the 3rd display ports.

My monitors don't have display ports, so I need a convertor. And active one, passive will not work I'm told?

But here is where I'm confused. My understanding is that this card uses eyefinity... So will this stretch one of the HDMI or dvi screens to be wider, like extra space as if the screen was twice the width? Or will it treat it like an extended monitor like I'm used to?

It's a bit hard to articulate, but will 3 screens used on 3 independent monitors

...or...

2 screens stretched over 3 monitors

Hopefully I'll have an option

Thanks!

Note this is an upgrade from the hd4800 1gb, I'm hoping it is a big improvement for gta iv on an i7 920

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
And active one, passive will not work I'm told?

I believe you need an active adapter to get HDCP to work properly. This adapter should do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423138

But here is where I'm confused. My understanding is that this card uses eyefinity... So will this stretch one of the HDMI or dvi screens to be wider, like extra space as if the screen was twice the width? Or will it treat it like an extended monitor like I'm used to?

It's a bit hard to articulate, but will 3 screens used on 3 independent monitors

...or...

2 screens stretched over 3 monitors

Hopefully I'll have an option

Thanks!

Note this is an upgrade from the hd4800 1gb, I'm hoping it is a big improvement for gta iv on an i7 920

You will have an option.

Eyefinity makes all 3 monitors appear to the system as one large monitor. This is good for gaming, but not good for desktop use, IMO.

You can also disable Eyefinity when not playing games to use the traditional multi-Monitor setup you're used to. Where each monitor is detected by the system independently and you can use the extend desktop option on the extra monitors.