1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor Draws Zero Power on Standby

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 9, 2007.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    New Fujitsu Siemens monitors are the first to consume no power in standby mode, the company claims. A relay cuts off the main power whenever the video stream stops while capacitors store enough charge to flick the relay back when the signal returns, that's how it works. The technology is ready for TVs and can go into any computer monitor, according to the vice president of peripherals at Fujitsu Siemens, Rajat Kakar. The company has applied for six patents covering the technology and the first monitors using it will go on sale next spring. Standby accounts for eight per cent of domestic electricity consumption, and the figure is rising according to a recent report by the UK Government. Some political parties have called for a Europe-wide ban on unnecessary stand-by. Fujitsu Siemens has already showed two 22in widescreen prototype monitors with power meters attached at a press event in Augsburg, Germany.

Source: Personal Computer World

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    But don't capacitors loose their charge over time? So if you left it on stand-by for a few days wouldn't it fail to switch back on because of the capacitors loosing their charge?

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow what a "brilliant" solution, how hard was that, really?

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That's a really good thing, I can't beleive how many watts are wasted on electronics that are turned on & unused.

Sidebar: So my PC draws about 250w idle - I measured it with a "Kill-A-Watt" meter at the plug. I put the computer in standby mode as a test - it still draws 250w! I just make sure to shut it down when I'm not using it. I think becuase it's overclocked the EIST function is disabled...

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    My guess is it would just take a little longer to come back to life if the capacitors were discharged.

6. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Funny that they're not calling them the "Super-Eco Green-Energy" monitors, kinda like how Sony was doing the other day with their "Eco" laptops that weren't very "eco" at all.

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Monitor Draws Zero Power on Standby....

Errr yeah, its called the Power Button, otherwise known as:

Off button
    Power switch
    Kill'her switch
    Cut Off switch

& failing that theres always the mains - holes in the walls which you shouldnt stick your dick into usually surrounded by some sorta flick switch

& if that still isnt enough there is always the breaker box under the stairs. but hey if you took a hammer to that breaker box you'd be more eco friendly then a frog spawning its young in a pond & you'd also prove what a total idiot you are to your neighbours by living the rest of the week without any power until you can get an engineer to recover the damage -

so thats...

No power for a week or until the engineer gets in - good
    your the new village twat - also good

Conclusion - everybodys happy