1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor input lag ... do you feel it ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by droopyRO, Aug 17, 2014.

?

Do you perceive input lag while playing FPS ?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2014.
  1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. droopyRO

droopyRO

Thanks Received:
    Do you feel/perceive the input lag on monitors ? i have a Dell U2713Hm with about 28 ms of input lag and i tested a BenQ GW2750HM 8 ms input lag. The test was done in Battlefield 4 i cant say i played better with the faster one. I was looking at some 120/144Hz TN and some PLS with even lower input lag of 4-6ms would it benefit my gaming performance if i switched from the current Dell U2713HM to a faster 144Hz TN ?
    Thank you.

PS: if there is a dedicated thread to my question please delete/merge, thanks.
    EDIT: old test i did, Dell is on the left.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    It very well could, whether its worth the investment is up to you.

Think of all those kinds of moments where you swore up and down that you had pulled the trigger as soon as his head was in the sites before he shot you. Those are the only kind of moments i can think of where monitor input is said to benefit you in that you receive an image fast therefore would be the first to press the trigger button.

3. xLDKx NewYorker

xLDKx NewYorker

Thanks Received:
    I can feel it, my friend swears he can't feel it...but he's also a ninja who wears coke bottles sooo
    I play on my Samsung 42 @240hz, in reality using 60-120hz, with game mode on and it's fine for me, though I prefer CRT. Could be your GPU as well, but I doubt it unless you have a laptop or an old card with shitty ram.

4. frag06

frag06 New Member

Thanks Received:
    From all of the research I have read, 0.1 second (or anything faster) will feel like it is instantaneous. Meaning, as long as the response time is under 100ms, you aren't going to notice any lag.

Switching to a monitor with a lower latency probably isn't going to help you. There are certainly many other things that will benefit you more.

5. xLDKx NewYorker

xLDKx NewYorker

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't the human brain have about 80ms visual/audio lag anyway?

6. frag06

frag06 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Something like that, I think. Humans have a 200ms (varies) or so reaction delay, too.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    xLDKx NewYorker says thanks.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's about average with many people falling on either side of that number. :)

xLDKx NewYorker says thanks.