1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor is dark

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by james888, Oct 29, 2012.

1. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I have a spare hp w17e. The picture is so dark I can barely tell there is even a picture. Its like the backlight is barely on. The screen does get bright when I first turn it on or change is resolution; it also is brightest at the bottom and dimmer at the top.

So really I think the back light died. I don't want to just throw it away. Can I fix it? I think I might be able to. I found this guide here.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the inverter that powers your backlight is failing. It's common for the capacitors to start to fail. Sometimes it will flicker, sometimes it will flat out die.

If you don't want to try to replace the inverter, I suggest turning it in to a projector. :p

jgunning says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I guess it could be the inverter also. Something in there. A projector would be a cool mod but I totally don't know how I would make that work in my house.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Had the same exact issue on my IBM Thinkvision a few days ago. Monitor lights up brightly at the top and darker at bottom for a second after turning it on or changing resolution and goes it black but there was image.

In my case, one of the CCFL at the bottom burned out and the inverter protection kicks on turning all lamps off.

You could try to isolate the lamp that fails to turn on and replace it but it's a very hard job in some monitors :( In others, you can slide the lamps out easily.

Edit: There are people who replaces them with LED strips powered from the monitor's own PSU and remove the inverter

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I have a 42" tha i need to do that. I replaced the inverter but noting. I know its the back light because I can se the image with a flashlight. I tink one of the tubes.
    is out. It will come on for a couple second

6. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    So I took the monitor apart. Here is an imagur album of the pictures. So what is the inverter and how would I replace it and with what inverter. I am probably size restricted here.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the inverter is the long PBC across the top second pic. Google the model on E Bay. The bottom pics is the PSU

james888 says thanks.
  8. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know where I could get an inverter to replace that one?

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  10. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    I still think its the lamp not inverte I would try it first but its up to you

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012