1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor is wavey.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Ravenas, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Here recently my Dell monitor (that's plugged in via vga cable with a DVI converter on it) has been having a wavey signal. It kinda hard to discribe, and it's not always happening. This "wavey signal" is usually occuring on the edges of things ect ect. I recently removed the graphics card in this dell computer that the monitor is plugged into and placed it back in, and everything seems snug fit. What is causing this "wavey" type signal in my montior? :confused:

2. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    sounds like you're not getting clean power to your graphics card. is anything else on the same rail? maybe a hard drive?

Ravenas says thanks.
  3. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    No I don't think that there is, but I'll make sure that the 4 pin connector is properly connected.

4. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anything near your monitor? A speaker, the case sitting too close? Sometimes EMI will mess with monitors if it gets too close.

Ravenas says thanks.
  5. Graogrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    This type of thing can also occur if there is another appliance generating interference on the same electrical circuit in your home as your computer or monitor. Look for lights (especially florescent), televisions, refrigerators, heaters, etc.

Ravenas says thanks.
  6. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Looks like random was right, I wasn't used to this custom dell power supply and the power to the video card was loose! Thanks much random.

7. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got this problem when using my laptop's VGA port with my monitor. I've found it's just the VGA standard itself, which TFTs don't tend to favour. My old monitor was VGA only, and occasionally did this. I attempted to eliminate anything causing possible electrical interference, but it was still happenning.

EDIT: Too late, you've got it fixed :p

Ravenas says thanks.
  8. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    no problem, dude!

9. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Giving you a thanks for the effort, anyone who would have attempted to help solve this problem is worth thanking in my book. :toast:

10. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Good you got it fixed, but another thing that causes wavey-ness is not having your monitor and pc on the same surge protector.

11. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only reason why I can think that might be true, is because of the minute differences in timing, that it may cause, so, instead of being 50.1Hz, it's 50.2Hz, and even that sounds stupid to me when I say it (not calling you stupid, saying my theory sounds stupid).

And ta very much Ravenas :)

12. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Yea, it has to do something like that. One of my old instructors during high school when I was taking a PC tech class was saying something about grounding, and that the vga signal is unclean. If memory serves me correctly, it detail, it has to do the PC is not grounding cleanly, and then the current flows to the vga cable.

A great way he showed us this was to turn off the computer, then take a volt meter to the RGB pins and its equivalent ground pins (those pins have power going through them), and see if there is a current. If there is a current, when the computer is off, that means something is not grounded, and that is causing the unclean signal.

http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml

13. mrtn400

mrtn400 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem. I tried using a DVI cable instead and it's clean now. (Had the grounding issue)

14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I've had my cell phone cause the issue.