1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

monitor just died

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rowsol, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    I turned it on this morning and I noticed a yellow haze on the bottom half of the screen. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. About 2 minutes later it was gone. 8 hours later I notice the brightness is starting to flicker. I turn the monitor off and notice a noise has just stopped. I wait a minute and turn it back on to see it even worse. 15 seconds later the screen goes black but the power stays on.

This Hanns-G lasted 3.5 years. Meanwhile this emachines monitor I'm using has been going for at least 7 years. It sucks to be me today. :cry:
  2. Ieat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry man. Well look on the bright side. Maybe its time to get one of those nice 1440p monitors.:)
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    If it is not under warranty you could pull it apart and check the inverter for bad caps or just change it all together if it is a separate unit
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    You should try recaping the psu, it worked for me.
  5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    ^That! Could be the LCD screen too. I have never seen an LCD desktop monitor go bad, but have laptop LCD fixed, it did turn out to be the LCD screen. Cost about $125 to get it fixed.
  6. Ieat New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can buy a new 23" monitor these days for less then $125.
  7. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    ASUS VN248H Super Narrow Bezel Black 23.8" 5ms (GT...

Just bought this. Never had an IPS panel, can't wait to get it hooked up.

Not sure about fixing it myself, don't have a clue how to do something like that. I did keep it though, maybe one day I'll look up a guide and take a swing at it.
  8. Celio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello!

I'm searching for some reviews of this monitor and it seems there is none atm.

Can you write a little review of this VN248H model? How is it in games and movies? Overall experience?

Thanks
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I have a 28" HannSpree that I occasionally need to hit on the side to make the image come back. (Turn it off, hit the side lightly, turn it back on.) Not that your problem is going to he fixed like that, but I got fed up with it and decided to get a few Dell S2340Ms. I have one at work and it's a pretty nice display. Newegg has a promo code and a sale on them that brings then down to 145 USD each here in the US with free shipping.
  10. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    Well I have had the monitor for a day now. I'll admit I don't notice much difference from my old TN panel. My only issues are the backlight bleed which is noticeable in the bottom left and right corners and the stand arm which is puny and the monitor shakes easily. My Hanns-G had a very sturdy stand. The vivid pixel thing is kinda cool but anything over 25% makes text look weird.

Looking at the price now it went up a lot. I paid $150 after the rebate, it's pretty hard to beat that.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  11. Celio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your response Rowsol .

I'm looking for this monitor for faster games like BF3 and movies as it seems to be good one, it has a new AH-IPS panel and low response time on paper.

You played any game on him? Hows the situation about input lag and blur ?
  12. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    I've played some Doom on it. I don't notice anything different from my old monitor, no lag or blur that I can see.
    I do wish I would've shopped around more, just found this LG IPS224V-PN Black 21.5" 14ms (GTG) HDMI Widescre... and I wouldn't have bought this ASUS had I seen that one. $120 is a great price and I hate mail in rebates.
  13. Celio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so you are satisfied with that VN248H model? It can be used for FPS games without any ghosting or blur?

It's very hard to find anything about this monitor so I as many others are very curious :)

Can you post some pictures here if its not a problem please? Thank you sir!