1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor opinions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by -1nf1n1ty-, Apr 13, 2012.

1. -1nf1n1ty-

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,
    I just bought a monitor (saturday) and I didn't research before I bought it. SO I decided to do some research on it when I got home. All I get are people complaining about ghosting but I honestly don't notice it at all and now my friends saying my contrast ratio isn't accurate it is 10million:1. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this monitor. I bought it for 3D applications, Nuke, Maya, and some Photoshop etc. I will be accompanying this with my samsung monitor.
    (what I bought)
    http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VE247H/

thanks for the help guys

PS I personally do not have a problem with it but I can't help but wonder how good it actually is and if I made a great purchase

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ghosting would generally come from a monitor with a higher response time. This monitor has a lower response time. Perhaps the people complaining about it got a bad panel? Don't know really.

3. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    People that complain about ghosting complain about the smallest graphical hiccups. Your monitor probably does have ghosting except that it is so little... you can't tell unless you were trained to see it.

These people spent hours trying to find it. Let it go and enjoy your new monitor man.

/brofist

-1nf1n1ty- says thanks.
  4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Asus is a decent brand, so you won't have bought a lemon.

All LCD monitors have ghosting when displaying movement - it's inherent in the technology unfortunately. Some are a bit worse than others, that's all.

5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    there are 2 ways to measure contrast ratio.

the ON/OFF test involves measuring a 100 IRE test pattern (all white screen) then measuring a 0 IRE test pattern (all black screen) and you get a large number like 10,000,000:1

the ANSI test involves measuring the white and black rectangles on a checkerboard pattern.

[​IMG]

the ANSI test will yield a smaller number (my BenQ XL2420T has a contrast ratio of 890:1) but it's the better test because the blacks and whites are on screen at the same time instead of one at a time.

so why do the manufacturers keep doing the ON/OFF test if it has no real world meaning? because consumers think a bigger number means better display.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    -1nf1n1ty- says thanks.