1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor resolution issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by randomperson21, Feb 18, 2007.

1. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, this is bad.

So I set my computer up for a movie night thing, projector running as a secondary display at 1024x768, and my normal LCD running at 1440x900 as the primary.

when we were finished, i brought the thing upstairs and plugged in my lcd to the computer, digital connection, exactly the same way it was set up before.

booted up fine, saw the windows loading screen, and then when it hit gui, the LCD lost signal. Every time...
    I tried it on an identical LCD, as well as the projector and another CRT display. Same issues, with both dvi ports on my gfx card.

Booted into vga mode, booted up fine, got to GUI at 640x480, and logged in. under settings, i only got 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. when i tried to change it to any of these resolutions, the LCD's and the projectors lost signal (and i KNOW for a fact they can run at those settings...)

so i'm kinda out of ideas, and its really getting on my nerves.

any suggestions?

2. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    This happened to me when I was swapping from 17" to 19" and vise versa. There is probebly an easier way but what I done was first I tried booting into safe mode but it doesn't let you change settings ie resolution and refresh rate. So what you need to do is go into safe mode, uninstall your video card driver in add or remove programs. Then reboot, it will have lowered the refresh rate and resolution without a driver and then you just install the driver again and change it to a resolution your monitor can support. The reason mine wasn't working is because the 17" didn't support 1280x1024 at 85hz but the 19" did and that's what I had settings set to. That's how I fixed mine, so I hope it works for you. Let me know how it goes and if you have any trouble.

3. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    i actually just did that. booted into vga mode, reinstalled the gfx driver.

now it works

@#(*$&^@(#*&$ monitors....

thx for the suggestion!

4. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    No probs. It is annoying how they do that. I don't know why it doesn't just do what it does if you change the refresh rate to high in windows. lol. I actually done the exact same thing the day after with different monitors. lol. It was when one of my computers broke and I was testing stuff and installing XP on spare etc.. lol.

5. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    So weird.....when I switch monitors I never change resolution or refresh or anything, and it always just works. I wonder if Windows XP Pro has something built in to protect against that, that home doesn't have?

6. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is why i just like Windows Home Edition for now. It works just fine. Might go for the Vista in the future, but there is so many bugs with Vista right now.

7. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    idk, this is the first time its ever happened to me. irritating all the same.

8. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    No it's not homes fault. I have been using pro for ages including both times the refresh rate made my monitor lose connection when swapping them arround. The only reason I am useing Home now instead of Pro is becuase one of the computers I got second hand just for spare parts coz it was cheap had the home licence number on it. So I would prefer legal Home over ilegal Pro.

9. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good choice Josh heh.