1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor technology discussion

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by itsakjt, May 18, 2013.

1. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Today I was thinking that LCD monitors- TN, IPS and VA all have advantages and disadvantages over one another. No matter how much we pay, no monitor is absolutely perfect. However I have no idea why AMOLED technology is not implemented in monitors. Also now-a-days, smartphones and tablets display are much more looked upon than monitors. We see smartphones with ppi over 260 and with infinite contrast ratio also with absolute blacks and absolute whites. But we never bother to check the ppi of a monitor which is very low. My question is why are the new technologies especially AMOLED not implemented in today's monitors? I was searching the internet and it seems even IPS panels have backlight leakage viewable at a certain angle. Your opinions please....
  2. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Supply and demand, for years monitors where manufactured to use with Windows based systems mainly except for high end professional monitors, it has only been the last 5 years since Apple started pushing the boundaries of traditional resolutions that consumers have started to take notice hence now 1440p/1600p is becoming more prevalent but it's a lot slower than the uptake from phone mfrs as there's only really 2(3) choices when it comes to desktop OS's and that's Apple and MS (Linux being the 3rd)

Windows traditionally does not scale well with high DPI settings though it has started to improve, unfortunately I think only 4k HDTV's will bring about the advent of a new standard of monitor resolution and mfrs will hold off as long as they can whilst there still making profit selling cheap mass produced 1080p panels.

The phone market is different in that it's an emerging market and there is more competition from the likes of Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony etc to drive innovation and again Apple led the pack initially when it came to displays putting a retina screen on it's iPhone3/4? though over the last 1/2 years has been out done by both samsung and HTC (see GS4/HTC One) and all others close behind.
  3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    one monitor is perfect..... CRT :rockout:
    itsakjt says thanks.
  4. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    One word, HUGE, they don't fit into most modern homes these days and a "good" LCD/IPS is nearly as good in some aspects and better in others
  5. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    you cant fix an LCD at home with a soldering iron and 50cents worth of caps :D
  6. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Yes agreed but why the backlight bleeding, contrast ratio and response times are not perfect also? If I leave high ppi(hence high res aside). Personally I think AMOLED tech should be implemented. Yes obviously it will cost a bit more but benefits are invaluable! And yes I agree that CRTs were the most perfect screens ever! Zero response time, zero backlight bleed, high ppi and full 180 degree viewing angle! What else do I want! Only drawbacks- Bulky, power hungry, may damage eyes.
  7. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    why AMOLED? ips screens are just as good. look at phone IPS screens. hardly any bleed. you get what you pay. cheap ones are bad, expensive ones are better.
  8. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    CRT hurt my eyes and give me headaches, I can deal with blacklight bleed and slower response better than actual physical pain lol PPI isn't a drawback of LCD/IPS tech that's down to the mfrs not implementing higher standards
    itsakjt says thanks.
  9. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    But IPS panels have very bad response times. And viewing angle is not awesome either. I just checked some videos related to IPS viewing angle and saw that the blacks look horrible at an angle. Color distortion may be acceptable but blacks were horrible!
  10. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    ummm what? can you give links? ips panels have excellent viewing angles.
  11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    8ms isn't horrible, tech has come on a lot since LCD's first started appearing, honestly a lot of the drawbacks of LCD vs CRT are outdated. I only want higher res and refresh rate which both are available though not usually together without selling a kidney.
  12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  13. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  15. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
  16. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    And they decided to post 360p video..... :banghead:

IPS kicks LCD ass though but not sure why I would be crouching under my desk whilst needing to see a perfect image from my monitor? ninja bate? lol
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    itsakjt and de.das.dude say thanks.
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    de.das.dude says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    as i said, you get what you pay.

that is a "cheap" IPS display.

consider its price to the IPS display on my phone. my phone res is just 640*360 and it costs 1/4 of that.

i dont think you have seen the IPS on lumia 710, 610s etc.

i think the op is dishing out BS just because he made a bad monitor purchase recently :roll::roll:
  19. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
  20. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Yes I have seen those IPS panels and thats why I made this thread asking why computer monitors are not made as good like the displays of smartphones. Its not because I made a bad purchase. Infact its quite good in all aspects other than the viewing angle.

And I don't know about "cheap". IPS is IPS. If it was really IPS, why is its viewing angle even more horrible than a TN panel?
  21. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    e-IPS = economy IPS :p
  22. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Worse than TN? care to share how you came to this conclusion?
  23. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    NO. e-IPS = enhanced IPS. Check wiki and other links. Theoretically, it should be better than normal IPS.
  24. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Personal experience. I had a LG W1943S monitor. Its colors showed 0 distortion upto 160 degrees horizontal. Same with my 3.5 years old Samsung LA B480 22" TV.

LCD Viewing Angle Comparesion, TN vs IPS [Dell E23...

Check that too. Isn't that difference apart from the bottom viewing angle of the TN panel comparable?
  25. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I don't like CRTs because they go out of focus or develop moire or color problems, they run hot and take too much space, VGA is a blurry mess above around 1280*1024, and my ASUS VG236H has a higher refresh rate at 1080p than most CRTs. I had a Sony GDM-500PS and it only did 1600*1200 @ 85Hz.

e-IPS is actually "economy IPS" as it was designed to be cheaper. Some are only 18bit color depth as opposed to professional 30-bit IPS displays, and e-IPS has narrower viewing angles which makes the blacks fade into grey. Source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm
    itsakjt says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD