1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor upgrade

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by HammerON, Jun 19, 2011.

1. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So I have two GTX 580's and have been running at 1920x1080 resolution (a waste of GPU power). My plan has been to upgrade to a 30" monitor @ 2560x1600, but they are too expensive. So I saw this deal on a 27" monitor @ 2560x1440 and wondered if it truly is a good deal:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=4&baynote_irrank=0

I have thought of adding another 24" monitor to my existing one but don't want the bezel to distract me from a good gaming experience. What do you think? Go with the Dell 27" or another 24" and have the bezel to deal with???
    Oh - and I only play FPS games.

I have also thought of going with two or three 23" Dell monitors:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=2&baynote_irrank=0

But again I worry about the bezel(s) getting in the way. However if I buy three of these 23" monitors I will save quite a bit...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    6ms gray-to-gray and 80k:1 contrast ratio... for a thousand bucks? Doesn't scream good deal at me tbh.

3. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I checked these out yesterday:
    LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED LCD 21.5" HDMI Monitor |...

Great price, They have 2ms grey to grey response, thin bezels so having 3 side by side should look easy on the eye. Full HD resolution, LED backlit, HDMI, DVI-D, VGA... youd need a display port to DVI adapter for one of them if you wanted a 3 monitor gaming setup.

4. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    The question is whether to go with 3 (23" to 24") monitors or 1 (2560x1440, 2560x1600)...

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I have a trio of 23" Samsungs. nVidia surround while gaming is pretty fun, but plenty of games (I am looking at you: Unreal engine) do not support the ultra-wide resolutions leaving me with only a single monitor active when I play those.

Wings of Prey is absolutely awesome on three screens, though.

6. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    You're mainly play FPS, right? Then I'd personally go with one large resolution monitor. Maybe research at first if the games you want to play actually support resolutions for a three monitor setup.

7. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    just wait for a full 30' 24-27 is not a huge jump, but 24-30 is huge!

8. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Myself, I'd go for one 30"... the resolution is fantastic, loads of real estate for a single program or game but the resolution is not so much that later on down the line you will run out of graphics horse power making it neccessary to upgrade.

Also bear in mind that when you upgrade your graphics card you'll need to buy 2 again and not one if you had a 3 screen setup for gaming.

9. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    Didn't see that! Thanks MRCL:toast:

Thanks for the link. You are right about the price! I am aware that I will need a display port to DVI adaptor for the third screen - but thanks for reminding me.

That sucks (Unreal Engine not supported). Do the bezels bother you when gaming?

Yeah - I should do some research on whether the games I play are supported at 2560x1440 res (if I decide to get the 27").

For actual screen real estate you are correct, however the resolution is much higher going from a 24" to the 27". But I think I will wait to buy a 30".

Good point about upgrading GPU's, but I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon:)

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Not at all, actually. I have bezel compensation on, and they don't bother me one bit.

HammerON says thanks.
  11. HammerON

Thanks Received:
    Wasn't aware there was a "bezel compensation"...
    Thanks for letting me know. I still am researching as it is a pretty expensive upgrade. Maybe I should just sell one of my GTX 580's and just stick with one 24" monitor:(

Crunching for Team TPU