1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitors - Need opinions please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by infrared, Jan 2, 2009.

1. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

My crappy AMW 19" LCD is about to give up, so I'm looking to get a new monitor. There are a lot of choices though, and i'm a little unsure what to get.

Here is a selection of 22" monitors i like the look of from oc.uk (not limited to that site). The full 1080p resolution of the viewsonic and Asus monitors looks good, but I also like the look of the Samsung monitor, which would probably be better built than the VS one.

Asus VH226H 22" Widescreen True HD LCD Monitor - Black

^Like the res, 2ms. Bezel looks odd. Very cheap!

Viewsonic VX2260wm 22" Widescreen True HD LCD Monitor - Glossy Black

^again, nice res, 2ms. Base is flimsy aparently. Is the screen itself glossy, or just bezel?

Samsung SM-2233BW Cream 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Glossy Black

^Going down in res, up in quality? Couldn't find any reviews, so must be quite new. Sexy lookin monitor!

Any advice, comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend owns the VH226H, it's great especially on 1920 x 1080 and it didn't have one dead pixel.
    infrared says thanks.
  3. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Personally id go with the Samsung ,having owned an Asus in the past and currently have a Hanns-g as well ,the samsung i have is much better than the others.

I think the Asus and Viewsonic are decent but i find Samsungs just seem to have that extra quality feel to them compared with most others.
    infrared says thanks.
  4. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well difference is unoticable unless u got pretty good eyes lol because for 2ms the maximum framerate u'll get is 500fps and 5ms u'll get 200fps max.
    infrared says thanks.
  6. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well on my 2 current screens the Hanns-g is 5ms and the samsung is 2ms and i can tell a difference.

in some games on the Hanns-G i do notice ghosting/blurring ,its not bad but noticeable ,some games are fine and others (usually fast moving shooters) you can see it almost straight away.

Whereas the Samsung i never seen even a hint of ghosting/blurring ,my Samsung is an older model now ,over a year old ,and if anything id expect the newer models to be even better.

as for the above stating FPS on different ms screens ,ive had higher than 500fps on both my screens so that kinda kills that idea off.
  7. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  8. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    www.ebuyer.com/product/151775

I have this monitor, effing georgeous picture and an extra inch, for an extra 20 quid. Doesn't have HDMI but then it doesn't have speakers,so no loss.
    infrared says thanks.
  9. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn you mikek, you've just thrown another great monitor into the pit lol.

Btw, in the specs it says VGA connection. Does it have DVI? And what's the maximum refresh rate? Specs on the dell say 60hz @ 1920x1080 whereas i think i like the 85hz of the samsung @ 1680x1050 better.

Ok, it's between the Dell 23" and the Samsung now. I'm gonna have to sleep on it.
  10. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I like to be difficult, its my mission. Aye, 60hz is the max at 1920x1080. But its an LCD so the refresh rate doesn't matter, the image stays there until its refreshed. With a CRT the image is constantly being fired, hence why you see flicker at low refresh rates. And yes, it has DVI-D and VGA.

EDIT: I've just bought a 22" LCDTV/monitor which is 1680x1050 which I've also got hooked up. Side by side te image quality is far better on the Dell due to the finer pixel pitch. The 22" is actually slightly larger physically, which doesn't make sense....unless my eyes are decieving me. Geometry was never my strong point, the Dell is a bit wider but not quite as tall. But 16:9 is the golden ratio, in comparison the 22" 16:10 looks much squarer. Thats as best as I can describe at 0335, lol
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    infrared says thanks.