1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitors

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Havoc, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi again,

At the moment I am running my setup of an old 17" CRT monitor, and now I have a little cash (and a little less desk space) I figured it would be a good time to upgrade. Hopefully someone can recommend me something, I'm not actually bothered about the size, so long as it's 19"+ but it has to take a Playstation 3 (I'm not familiar with the connections it needs - hopefully someone will be) and it needs to be white and look good. Price range is sort of up to £200 ($400)

As I have said, i'm not too bothered about size, but the bigger the better obviously.

Thank you

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well Samsung do real nice LCD's, people need to know what system you have and what kinda games you play. Do you mind widescreen ?, as a example you have the Samsung 204B ( non widescreen and 204BW ( Widescreen ). i my self don't like widescreen. All though the 204 model is a old one now but it's been dam good for me.

3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I have this Samsung, and at this price - I doubt you will find better.

4. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have the same monitor. I love it

5. Havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not adverse to the idea of widescreen as they are cheaper, If I'm honest I'd prefer the regular shape, that Samsung does look good. Don't suppose you know of anywhere that does it in white?

6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Grrr.. That Acer doesn't look too bad, it does at least have the right ports. I believe.

What about Belinea monitors, are they any good? I know they do a few white ones.

8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    5ms response time isn't very good

Never heard of Belinea, don't know.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. acperience7

Thanks Received:
    I just got this one last month for my PS3 and it's excellent as far as picture goes(720p). It doesn't support 1080i though, if you're looking for that. I'm loving it so far though, couldn't be happier with it. Even in sunlight it doesn't give me any glare.

@BarbaricSoul: I have noticed no problems with 5ms on mine. No ghosting or anything at least.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009124

10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

?. mines 5ms and it's been perfect for slow or very fast gaming. All though it does depend on how that 5ms has been done.

11. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are a gamer get yourself a bigger CRT (21-22"), provided you have the room. I don't know if those D-sub ports can connect to PS3 but i'm sure there is an adaptor for it. That kind of monitor will beat the crap out of a comparable LCD in games and will cost you less since its older tech. I got myself a 22" diamondtron for $350 a year and half ago. They are more difficult to find these days but take a look around.

12. Havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    That Samsung had a response time of 5ms... I don't have the room for a CRT unfortunately. That's why I'm upgrading.

I'm still a bit unsure about the Acer mind...

13. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I didnt say 5ms was bad, just that it wasn't very good(compared to what is available).

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Umm odd as there is no issue's what so ever with mine in fact it's been 100% better than any CRT i've ever bought or bought for some one else.

15. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    In case you didn't know, that 2ms is just marketing, 2ms is grey to grey response, 5ms is common to all good 22" or larger monitors for colour to colour response. My samsung 2253bw 24" rocks for gaming! If it says 8ms, then it's cr*p....

16. Analog_Manner

Analog_Manner New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone have any of the 30" displays? I wonder how those are without a high response time.

17. Havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
  19. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing beats a good CRT for picture quality. People will find the same thing said on home theater forums. I bought literally a car load of 21" Sony Trinitrons (and one Diamondtron :)) awhile ago. Sold some, used some. Sure is hard to kill one. My friend got back into gaming recently and grabbed a Trinitron from me since he HATED every LCD he saw.

Having said that, I wouldn't say even a cheap TN panel LCD is bad to look at, as long as it's straight-on. Sit at any kind of angle at all and they tend to suck real quick, though.

Havoc, one thing of note is many people don't like running an LCD at anything but it's native resolution. Such a thing may create a problem with a high-res 22" or a typical 24" at 1920x1200 and thus needing a video card that can handle that in games. On the other hand, the 1680x1050 ones can't quite do full HD resolution, so this kind of depends on what you specifically intend to use it for as well as if you care about possibly running a non-native res.

20. Havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't deny the quality that Cathode Ray Tubes put out, but one of the main reasons that I am moving to Flatscreen is Desk Space. I can just about squeeze a 17" CRT on here at the moment, But I need something I can connect a PS3 into, is white, and much smaller, therefore a Flatscreen is the only choice :(

21. Tony Parkes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great source

22. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about some of these, they seem to fit what you're looking for quite well, will play nice with a PS3, support 1080p, come in white, 2ms (gtg) response time and fit in your price range. Only thing is though they are 16:9 rather than the standard 16:10 (for computer monitors).

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=15445

23. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yes it took a while for me to adjust to the LCD monitor.
    Especially with the fact different angles give different contrast.

After using the LCD 19" widescreen for a while I decided to go back to the 17" CRT.
    I couldn't believe I was happy with the CRT, the image is all curved out and a little crooked on one side
    It felt like there was more plastic than necessary around the screen.
    It also seemed odd something so big projected a image so small.

24. Havoc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jmatt110 - They look like a great find, that 21.5 Inch one may very well be coming to my desk soon.

25. Jmatt110

Jmatt110 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good stuff :) Let us know how it goes.