• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monolith by Monoprice M1070C Planar Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Monoprice is back at it with the Monolith series of audio products, and this time we‘re taking a look at its new closed-back over-ear offering: the M1070C. It is a planar magnetic set that comes with two different stock pads and a clean aesthetic to appeal to different customers, all without hurting the wallet too much!

Show full review

Nice review! Will there also be a review of the Monoprice M565C in the future ?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Nice review! Will there also be a review of the Monoprice M565C in the future ?
Depends on what Monoprice can do provide, even this was hard to get a sample of.

Monolith is just one of their high end markers. Sort of how they have monitors and keyboards, but then the Dark Matter monkier which is for gaming. Monolith for all their audio stuff generally means it's the "audiophile" branch. Stage Right is their studio brand.

The issue with all this though is while all their budget stuff punches well above it's weight level, once you start getting into their more bespoke options you run slam into (for audio at least) getting say a set of HiFi Man planar headphones and ifi dac/amp for roughly the same price (granted those companies lower end). I did have great luck with a pair of their powered studio monitors though and I swear by them. They have draw back but for the price and after the 40% of sale they are a great bargain.

Reactions: VSG
Surprisingly I have the HE400SE paired with a ifi Zen dac v2 and I am looking for a decently priced closed back planar. Enter 565C, but there aren't many reviews of it and what I've found on Amazon are a mix bag.

The1andonly

Monolith is just one of their high end markers. Sort of how they have monitors and keyboards, but then the Dark Matter monkier which is for gaming. Monolith for all their audio stuff generally means it's the "audiophile" branch. Stage Right is their studio brand.

The issue with all this though is while all their budget stuff punches well above it's weight level, once you start getting into their more bespoke options you run slam into (for audio at least) getting say a set of HiFi Man planar headphones and ifi dac/amp for roughly the same price (granted those companies lower end). I did have great luck with a pair of their powered studio monitors though and I swear by them. They have draw back but for the price and after the 40% of sale they are a great bargain.
Maybe in the MP Ecosystem that has a hint of truth...

Before I continue I want to differentiate and disclose,

1.stuff like Sundara for me is "Hi-FI" I don't financially discriminate and see myself as ye above all; no it's mid-fi swill at best

2. Stuff like Sundara is still, price wise, mid range, and so is basically anything within MP ecosystem, comparing MP to Audeze, Hifiman, and Meze high end is a null game

That said virtually no one is in the market for the LCD-XC, Meze Liric, AND the M1070C in fact I have never heard the M1070C but this diss on it slams me hard because the Liric and to a lesser extent the XC are like.... not good deals, it's hard to find one closed back so I find the comparison disingenuous....

Monoprice's (including Monolith which btw is somewhat separate from Monoprice) is
midrange AT BEST

and I have tested the M1570 vs the entire Audeze lineup to the tippy top on $200-$2000+ source gear....

Why not add comparisons to the M1570, M1570C, and M1070? and go on, harang me all you like for not doing my own comparison, spending my own money, publishing my own content, but you like smosh me into the dirt and this wasn't an option or even a consideration? Look I am just a spectator, but to be fair I HATE Monoprice, products aside that company sucks.... but this comparison is total....

niceIMG_3184.JPG

Don't get me wrong everyone should save their money in close back section and either buy the Focal Elegia for $380 or bigbuck the ZMF Verite Closed for $2500+ but calling this bad vs the XC and the Liric is silly af. Put the M1070C against the headphones it actually competes against the qualitative findings of this review are in comparison to items no one looking at a 1070C cares about and as whole to the market qualitatively without proper comparison are misleading and just.... bad.

Surprisingly I have the HE400SE paired with a ifi Zen dac v2 and I am looking for a decently priced closed back planar. Enter 565C, but there aren't many reviews of it and what I've found on Amazon are a mix bag.
That is a killer combo... the Elegia is a hell of a deal, and trust me I am a Planar cultist but it's good enough for consideration.... Heard good about the M1060C but literally nothing I have ever heard besides the XC jumps to mind as half decent, you can find deals on LCD-2C's for like $450 shipped if you know where to look but I have never heard the thing!

Last edited:
[...]
That is a killer combo... the Elegia is a hell of a deal, and trust me I am a Planar cultist but it's good enough for consideration.... Heard good about the M1060C but literally nothing I have ever heard besides the XC jumps to mind as half decent, you can find deals on LCD-2C's for like $450 shipped if you know where to look but I have never heard the thing!
Elegia as in the Focal Elegia? That's way above my budget even if they were readily available in Romania. As it is, local price is even steeper. Same goes for the LCD headphones in general. As such I am waiting for better and ideally cheaper options. Recently got the Dunu Titan S and I'm really enjoying it while out and about and when at home, the HE400SE is fine enough. I don't need more expensive options, but I would like sidegrades and the Monolith 565C is that.

The1andonly

Elegia as in the Focal Elegia? That's way above my budget even if they were readily available in Romania. As it is, local price is even steeper. Same goes for the LCD headphones in general. As such I am waiting for better and ideally cheaper options. Recently got the Dunu Titan S and I'm really enjoying it while out and about and when at home, the HE400SE is fine enough. I don't need more expensive options, but I would like sidegrades and the Monolith 565C is that.
Surprised you can get Monoprice in Romania, I would think Focal which is HQ'ed in France would be easier, but I also know your prices for Beyerdynamic and Schiit in EU are higher... you aren't going to find a side-grade for the same price you paid or even double the $$$, literally if you do not need a closed back for practical reasons I would advise not to get one.... I think like 70-80% of the audio community will mirror price to performance(besides $380 Elegia) closed backs are much worse value almost uniformly across the entire price range... IIRC Planars are even harder to do closed back vs Dynamic Drivers.

I also don't mean besides the extra cost and difficulty to make them that is already higher while they are made open back. I mean in addition, the next step is also hard compounding the already high difficulty to be many times the difficulty(to be done right).