• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

More AMD Phenom X4 news inside

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
Also note that the memory speeds shown in this demo are at 375x2 or 750mhz 3-3-3-9. There are kits out there today that do over 600x2 at 5-5-5-15, which would give a much better score. SuperPI 1m is rather finnicky about ram timings and speed.

This was built as a ground up, server style CPU. The power settings, independant multiplier, independant voltage, fully interconnected cores, etc. AMD wanted to counter intels greatest problem with current dual die stratagy, intercore latency and scaling. Given the HT speed, and the design of the core, there should be almost a 100% increase in processing power for every core available. With intels quads its around 100% going from single to dual, then about 80% or so iirc from dual to triple and triple to quad. This is due to the cores of one die having to use the FSB to access the other. The latency from that process, and the way windows handles multiple cpus (threads constantly switch which core they are on to dynamically load balance), creates a problem for intel. AMD may not have the architecture, but they do have a plan.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
Also note that the memory speeds shown in this demo are at 375x2 or 750mhz 3-3-3-9. There are kits out there today that do over 600x2 at 5-5-5-15, which would give a much better score. SuperPI 1m is rather finnicky about ram timings and speed.

This was built as a ground up, server style CPU. The power settings, independant multiplier, independant voltage, fully interconnected cores, etc. AMD wanted to counter intels greatest problem with current dual die stratagy, intercore latency and scaling. Given the HT speed, and the design of the core, there should be almost a 100% increase in processing power for every core available. With intels quads its around 100% going from single to dual, then about 80% or so iirc from dual to triple and triple to quad. This is due to the cores of one die having to use the FSB to access the other. The latency from that process, and the way windows handles multiple cpus (threads constantly switch which core they are on to dynamically load balance), creates a problem for intel. AMD may not have the architecture, but they do have a plan.

deja vu of good old Athlon X2 times?
didnt AMD's Athlon X2's beat Intel first Dual Core's :D

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
Sarcasm actually is quite an adult kind of humor, how many sarcastic infants do you know? If you read my post you get my point, the news clearly suggests that performance should improve due to the extra cores(see quoted part), Jimmy seems to think it influences the score as well. Fact is SuperPI is single threaded, The Phenom X4 is built from the ground up as quad core CPU, it's a waste of time to run this test. Sure single core performance seems bad here, it might scale very well though, that's the thing they need to test. It's like testing a Ferrari in the hills or a bulldozer on a racetrack.

Plus, if besides my post you'd read my profile you'd know my age as well.

does pt count as a sarcastic (and physco) infant? :roll: