1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

more bad news for windows users

Discussion in 'General Software' started by spectre440, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Actually, windows has always come pretty easy to me... so linux was a bum to get used to, but once I got the basics down, its easy as pie really..... :)

2. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive been using Windows since 3.1 , and not once have I had to compile a program, or rebuild the kernel of the OS. Or any of that other manual crap. Yes I have tried to set up linux, but in the end it wasnt worth it. Ill try again when vista comes out, as im not looking forward to all the DRM in it.

3. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I had linux on my computer until last month, I just didn't re-install it after my last format. I never said it was bad, I think it's quite good at some things. Therefore I am not "ripping" it, or listening to the "general Blabber" as you so eloquently put it. Nor did I expect it to be easy to learn linux, in fact, I look forward to the challenge. I just don't understand the need to manually recompile the kernel or programs in general. Mac OS doesn't require it, Neither does Windows. If you can explain the advantage then by all means. I suppose it gives you greater control over the programs but can't there be an easy way out for those of us who don't know a programming language, and don't have the time to edit and personalize every program we install? Please don't accuse me of judging things without trying them first. That is one of the few things that annoys me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  4. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:

it was a windows flaw, but firefox was less vulnerable to it because in order to get hit by the exploit all you had to do in IE was to view the image. with firefox you actually had to download the image to your drive and view it directy from your drive using an application that uses the windows rendering engine.

and in any case, this issue is already long fixed.

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ok understood im not saying its easy or anything but if you could get it to run what you whant i think its better than windows. didnt mean to make it sound like i was accusing you of anything.

6. aff1nity New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah to answer your compiling question:

It may be a pain in the ass (especially when you have to go around getting every single requirded library and package) But! When you compile from source, you have complete control over what will end up in the final program. When I was compiling my own version of php 5.1.2 (because ubuntu's own php system has flaws) I only choose to include a few modules instead of including EVERYTHING.

I thought it was difficult at first, but it can get easier. Once you compile from source in ubuntu, it creates a .deb file for easy installation in the future.

And yes there is an easy way of installing things. You can find .debs and .rpms (or just use ubuntu's synaptic package manager or apt-get) for easy installs.

7. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Yes.. I love rpm's... easy easy install..... :respect:

./configure
    ./make
    ./make install

is all some programs require... :)

actually easier than NEXT->NEXT->ACCEPT->ACCEPT->NEXT->NEXT->NEXT etc

lol :roll:

Oh.. cant forget the accept to give them rights to your soul, and somtimes your cat.. rofl