1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

More boot problems. Ugh.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Soylent Joe, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was being a dumbass and chose "load optimized defaults" in he bios and the result is a screwed-up RAID 0 array. It's saying there's no OS and that the NTLDR is missing, also that one of my drives in not in the RAID array while one is. Could someone give me some pointers as to what I need to change in order to get everything back to normal? When it first happened I knew that loading the defaults disabled RAID (it's happened before) but after I went back and enabled raid I got the problems below. I also enabled "SHCI" or whatever in that same menu in the RAID enabling menu and that didn't change anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Make sure that the hard drives are selected to be part the array by pressing CTRL+I OR depending on your bios, you have to go to one of the menus and toggle which sata ports are on the array. - sometimes that can be in a different category than where you select sata mode.
  3. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Hit cntrl + i at boot up and go into your raid setup and selet both drives.
  4. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

It won't let me actually select drives, I can choose from one of those 4 options, I'm not sure what lies behind each door.
  5. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Looks like you have a bios setting wrong.
    Try enabling raid and make sure you have the drives in ide mode.
  6. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why IDE mode?
  7. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    It actually was already in IDE mode. I've played with every setting I've seen and still no go.
  8. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Try the create raid volume and choose both drives and see where that takes you.
  9. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I was going to try that if I didn't get any more replies anyways. Hopefully I won't loose my stuff. I have about 400GB of un-backed up material that I really don't need to lose.
  10. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    create raid volume may re-initialize the disks
  11. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Define "re-initialize". I haven't done anything to it yet, I ate some dinner and my cuz came over. Is this still the best option?
  12. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    /me sits patiently at his old ass second rig for responses...
  13. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    re-initialize = clean, shiny *new* array and no data on the disks. There is for sure no setting in the bios to flag the other hard drive as a member of the array?

if its your only option then give it a shot, but even im nervous for you lol.

I used to have a Ds3L and it died, so i had to redo the array on the RMA replacement. But that was over 2 years ago and for the life of me i cant remember what i did...
  14. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    D: This is not a good thing. What if, say, I was able to remove my drives and install them into my second system as a RAID 0 ar..wait, I guess even that would require me to create a new stripe. Arrrg, there has to be an easier way. If choosing the raid setup in that menu will make me lose my stuff, well, I'll carry it to the shop downtown and see if they have any better solutions.
  15. gaximodo

gaximodo New Member

Thanks Received:
    get another HDD installed with an OS, and keep other settings remain the same for your raid setup, see if you can get your stuff out. And then re-create the raid won't make any loses to you.
  16. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if they array isn't set up then I don't even think that that would work. I mean, the drives would show up, but as they're not running together any info you pull from a single drive would be jibberish.
  17. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Disk recovery software would probably work. The info isn't gone until you go and wipe the drive several times so some retrieval software should prove helpful.

Run it from a drive not involved in the array and use it on the others.
  18. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you reccommend some good programs for me? Perferably free but I'll aquire it some way or another, whatever the price.

But man, this just makes me very mad. My rig was running without a hitch and the little demon on my shoulder popped up and said "Overclock to 3.6GHz" and I was like OK, then when I'm in the bios he's like "HIT LOAD OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS, DO IT, DO IT!!!" and I'm like ALRIGHT, and I did it and now I'm having a mental breakdown. This sucks.
  19. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I would have to look myself. I've never gotten around to doing it. I just read a great deal about it a while ago.

The format of the drives would probably be NTFS, I think. I remember reading on several occasions that it does not delete anything but the "shortcuts" to the stuff. The file is still there but it gets kicked out when something wants to use the space.
  20. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    In the BIOS itself there is a place where you can select which drives are controlled by RAID, as was mentioned above. I'm not sure if you already did that, but what you came back with was a screen of the RAID management console itself, not the BIOS part.

Seems to me like one of those drives may be so corrupt the data that defines it as part of the RAID array is missing from it.
  21. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're talking about if I select "Create a RAID volume" right? I guess that makes sense though, I've had instances in the past where all of the shortcuts on a drive would be bum but the actual files and stuff would still be in the folder where they were. I'll still have to reinstall Win7 I guess :/
  22. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure what creating a RAID volume would do to the drive. Do you have an extra hard drive or an external that can fit a small OS?
  23. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well yeah, I have a 320GB SG Barracuda that's up for sale ATM that I could use.
  24. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just checked and I guess I was wrong about the option in the BIOS. Mighta been my i750 or just something else. Maybe that's just what happens when one of the drives in the RAID gets corrupted.
  25. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    the drive is fine, if there is no option in the bios go ahead an re-create the array in the CTRL+I menu:

If it will format, it will say:

ARE YOU SURE Y/N THIS WILL DELETE ALL FILES

then press no, otherwise it will just toggle the other drive as a member.

No software recovery will work since the drive was a stripe, so it only has 50% of the data... all of the files will be missing 50% of the info every 64B or whatever your stripe was set to.

Raid 0 literally "strips" the file and concurrently writes a strip to one drive and another to the other. So even if you recover the data with software you will end up with garbage. If you dont rebuild the array, then forget about it.