1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

More Details on AMD's 45nm CPU Line-up Revealed

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Nov 4, 2008.

1. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, fair enough. though i7s are crappy overclockers, the EE is the only one that has good potential.

2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Most reviews that included OCing has Turbo mode disabled during OCing.

Besides, if it offers Turbo mode by default, that is still, in fact, i7's stock results. Those are the real world results offered by plopping an i7 into an X58 board without tweaking anything. That = stock in my book.

3. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    The ones I looked at had it on. The 920 was beating (once anyway) the 965 or coming close in instances (synthetic mostly, but either way, they were all upclocking).

That or either the reviews are fud.

4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most results actually seem to be indicating i7 will oc quite well, even the low ones. Unless AMD has pulled some kind of black magic, they are still not gonna have a shot of competing unless the prices are super duper good. They have a few good months before ddr3 starts dropping and prices of the i7 become reasonable enough for the mainstream. Hopefully they can gain some ground in the meantime.

5. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    I imagine the o/c great to a point (but that might be high enough anyway), then hit a wall like the current AMD design. The cost of the CPU plus ram and MB is what (always) makes the new(er) intel stuff so unattractive.

(I will never use an intel, personal moral) but I'd still take a 9950, purely from the price standpoint (I use nvidia chipsets and those aren't cheap on the intel side).

6. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah possibly, especially if the 130watt limit is true. It still remains to be seen, but there's been several people hitting 4ghz w/ the 920, and they are of course very fast clock for clock, so well, like I said it still remains to be seen for sure, but it's lookin like they are some monster.

I personally will never understand why anyone would choose a lower product based on company, unless one company was killing children or something. They both want your money, but hey, I suppose that's how these companies survive in times of need, so more power to ya. :rockout: And yeah, if the price is right these may yet get my money. It's gonna need to be sub $200 offering better than upper yorkfield performance by next spring though.

7. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Business practices (all the lying, cheating, etc), plus what they do to people (their overseas slaves, i mean workers) Stomping on defenseless ppl pisses me off.

It's one of the rare products where you can just say no completely.

8. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    it aint gonna happen, AMD already announced their plans for the near future and no black magic is scheduled. The Deneb will be a good chip but not good enough to compete with Corei7 which dont overclock that well (except for 965 EE), BTW. Reviews i read were mixed: some people couldnt get them to overclock some had some success. Granted, this is a new, unmature platform and we may yet see better overclocks but i suspect that we will not see the overclocks C2D produced. IMC + Quad Core = not very overclockable.

9. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As I said, people are getting the 920 to 4ghz, and I haven't seen any official reviews oc'ing that one. Considering how much faster than C2D they are clock for clock, I'd say they oc quite well. Although, we still wont know for sure for a bit.

10. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    I know I'm just as much to blame as everyone else, but there's alot of rumor and opinion being thrown around this thread. Truth be told we won't see which is faster until both chips are released and someone credible does a clock vs clock review of the two designs.

11. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The last rumor I saw about Deneb was a sample being OC'd to 4.3GHz with the help of a Scythe Mine cooler, and a 790GX mobo. Pretty damn impressive when AMD has very high memory bandwidth, bit of a shame that there were no benchmarks. But, now that Intel has already shown off their hand of cards, its now AMD's turn to do the same or stocks will fall.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  12. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well of course, that doesn't mean we can't speculate though. That's half the fun. :p :)

13. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Touche good sir!
    But I was just thinking about it at work today and we're arguing over performance of parts that we can't even buy yet. I just hope that I can get a Deneb in my machine and OC it to 3.5GHZ+ 100% stable. I would love to be able to render in real time when I'm working in Vegas instead of having to render to my ram all of the damn time. :shadedshu

14. Fragman

Thanks Received:
    Me want the 3GHz Phenom X4 20550 now i say :D

Hope AMD dosent go under enytime soon...