1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

More uses for leftover parts

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Lazzer408, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    You know those front-panel/USB plugs to make it easy to disconnect the front panel buttons and lights from the motherboard headers? I had a few laying around, as well as some old motherboards.

I unsoldered one of the 2-port USB headers from the board and soldered it to an extra header plug to give me two internal USB ports. :)

Here are a few examples. An extra SATA port? Internal WiFi? Or maybe a ReadyBoost drive?

Here is the link to the SATA adaptor I used. My BIOS finds it, found the optical drive connected to it, and booted a CD off it. Windows 7 required no drivers and I can hot-swap HDDs from it. Oh, and it's only $6 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-SATA-Br...044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6f73e94

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    blkhogan and sttubs say thanks.
  2. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually that would work great for my Unraid server thst boots from a flash drive dticking out the back of my csse. It would be nice to put it inside.
  3. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    kciaccio says thanks.