1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Most Media Files Play Slooooow In All Players

Discussion in 'General Software' started by dreadnought, Jun 26, 2006.

1. dreadnought New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have hundreds of mp3 and videofiles and lately they have all been playing at about half speed no matter what player I use. Does some dark recess of the operating system need readjusting?

I am not a programmer so please give advice as though talking to an ordinary Joe. Thanks.

2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try defragmenting (I'm guessing you know what that means "Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools> Disk Defragmentor").

3. dreadnought New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for trying. Currently explored recently downloaded DSPlayer v 0.74 beta. Set speeds to 150% which brings back normal speed! Don't ask me why? WM9 etc. don't change speed with most slow files. Must be a glitch somewhere. Just read that embedded copy protection will mess up playback depending on the fiendish ingenuity of the corporate nerds. Not sure this is the problem all files downloaded from P2P software but perhaps I may have done too much 'cleaning' with aggressive software?

4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could be that a registry key got deleted somewhere along the way. Make sure you use a virus scanner (like AVG) and spyware scanners (like Windows Defender, Ad-Aware and Spybot). To be honest, as soon something like that happens it could be a good excuse for a fresh format of windows to sort out some a the cracks that may be beginning to appear...

5. Sledgehammerhyena New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use Gr8 Player. Plays all audio, most video and some pictures!

Plus it is small and easy to use, has an adjustable speed slider, and it is fast to load. It supports playlists (only the native playlist format).

It has extras like transperancy, and other cool stuff.

Download it free. Its cool.