1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Most Pirated Games of 2009

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by TheMailMan78, Dec 30, 2009.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh man who would have thought people pirate console games! :laugh:

Source

Mussels says thanks.
  2. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    Serves MW2 right!

El_Mayo says thanks.
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Dude that's crazy! And to think Sims3 and Prototype both have had nearly 6 months lead :eek:

Guess Infinity Ward should pay attention.

4. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    'That figure indicates potentially staggering growth in PC piracy during 2009.'

Do they realize how fckin BROKE people are?! It's because we don't have money! I bet if MW2 had cost $50 it would have been pirated half as much.

5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it is the backlash on IW for not providing a dedicated server, just like the backlash spore suffered, and at $50 a game, not everyone can afford.

Edit: DirectorC beat me to the second point

6. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget it was actually $60. That right there broke it for me, I was like screw them I'll wait til it's $50.

Still having buttloads of fun playing COD4 almost every day.

7. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    As much as I hate the one who think that just because I can charge $60 and people will buy it, they should charge $60. Hey, moron, charge $50 and it wont get (stolen || Pirated) as much and more people will buy it.

8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but they made the product, they can price it. Doesn't give anyone the right to steal it just because it's overpriced. Here is a thought, don't play the game if you can't afford to. You don't go into a store and swipe something because it's priced higher than you think it should be.

I don't pirate. I wait till it goes in the bargain bin, or drops in price on ebay/half/amazon/forums/steam.

9. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Big companies games ill pirate, small companies i like who listen to the fanbase like paradox ill buy.

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't agree more.

However I feel IW needed their game pirated for other reasons. Not price.

11. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    i honestly dont care valve themselves did a study if they dropped the price on games to $30 they would see far more sales and larger profit margins but companies are greedy do i agree with pirating yes and no.. in terms of the law its wrong and justifiably so but im also not a fan of being told i dont own what i paid for example i buy Mass Effect i can only install it 5 times (when it first came out) and i have to be online for it to be viable to play. now look at it this way

you pay $25,000 for a brand new car but you can only drive it as dictated by the car dealer and if you dont use your built in wifi to check in with them your car wont start.

i support those that pirate for the simple reason that these companies want to F us in the A for every penny and expect me to be happy with paying $50-60 for just the RIGHT to play the game i dont think so. its a product on a store shelf like bread butter pizza and beer i think i have the right to purchase my game and do with it as i please untill game companies can see that i dont care if ppl pirate hell im happy MW2 got pirated to hell and back

12. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well said. What more could I add to it... Oh yeah, I may have only pirated 2x in the last 3 years... but both items were deleted after I realized the items were crap.

13. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but you shoudnt have to wait you cant tell me they lose heaps of money if they dropped there prices. Like here in Oz you pay over 100 bucks for PS3 games 80 bucks or more for pc its a scam.

Sensi Karate says thanks.
  14. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I knew MW2 was going to be first once i saw the title of this thread.

Not surprising at all.

15. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    yea i dont care if your dling to check a game out more power to ya thats smart buying as demos tend to be subjective

but no one tells you how to drink a beer or eat a pizza or how you have to make your sandwich nor are we told what are cars must have or how they should look

so in respect to every other consumer item on the planet companies that think $50 for the right there use there software can kiss my arse

and agreed you Aussies and Nz peeps get shafted every day when it comes to games

the only game dev / publisher i support 100% is stardock entertainment as they dont use ridiculous DRM

actually seen alot of pirates support the above company and asking ppl not to pirate there stuff do to there understanding that DRM sucks :roll:

16. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:

lololololololololol

17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    it had nothing to do with the price in my mind, it was the fact that gamers everywhere stood up and IW sat and took a sh*t in their face:nutkick:

less costs more i guess, at least from COD4 to COD5(you got less)

18. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I still dont understand why some companies uses online register to control piracy, some of the people who want to play the game dont have internet connection, so they are forced to pirate games as they cant register their games.

19. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yet it still ended up breaking sales records in every entertainment medium. I don't think they're crying about it.

20. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    It did have something to do with the price - It might not have been a major issue but it still contributed greatly to IW's downfall.... your paying an extra £10-15 more for less content. not to mention the fact that the game did not come with dedicated server support or Mod tools which most people already knew about prior to the games release.

despite multiple online petitions all with thousands/millions of signitures requesting to reverse their decision they still turned around & gave us the finger.

by all means - Pirate away.

Yeah - Its unfortunate that over 90% of sales were made up of console versions - people who dont get to have an opinion about how games should be because unlike most pc games - they dont come with SDKs

21. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    im just waiting for the next call of duty which is suppose to be of MMO flavor i wonder how many fanboys will cry in rage at paying another monthly fee to play there game on xbox360 etc

22. @RaXxaa@ New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only reason MW2 is in lead because people got ripped off by IW and didnt wanna buy it but try it so they did, if there were dedicated servers that number would be way low

23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm so waiting for that to happen. There is a member on TPU I want to rub that into his face.....(Glares at 3870 with contempt.)

24. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    hahahaha yea things wont be all peachy when u pay for xbox live AND your subscription i cant wait for that day either because i will laugh myself into a drunken stupor the likes of which not even you have seen mailman :toast:

25. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    How many times do you need to be able to install a game? I never understood this gripe. And don't give me anything about resale value because companies don't care about that. They don't see a dime when you sell a game used so they could care less which makes sense.