1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Most Pirated Games of 2009

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by TheMailMan78, Dec 30, 2009.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    its the POINT someone doset tell you how many times you can start your car or change the damn tv channel so why should i be told i cant install my game more then 5 times why should i in a rural area be forced to have an internet connection to get a game to work thats the point im making

every other consumer item u can buy works fine offline no issues so why should i a pc user who spends 3x as much be forced to deal with the ridiculous amount of BS these companies put you through the reason ppl pirate is because no online needed to activate no DRM no CDs required go to the public library download it put it on an external get the patches and crack go home bingo done.

fact is the good guy gets punished and im tired of it

2. @RaXxaa@ New Member

Thanks Received:
    BTW IW just copied the same graphics and physics and models from Cod4 and just added some more weapons modles and mission scripts, so basically its 90% cod4 and yet they charge $60 without chance of its dropping until the next 1 year

3. ChewyBrownSuga

ChewyBrownSuga

Thanks Received:
    it's wrong to pirate the game period

people spend hours working of on a product so people would buy it no steal it

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    EnergyFX says thanks.
  4. KieX

Thanks Received:
    MW2 had it coming. Should show the developers what happens when they try to screw people over.

The other games on the list strike me as being pirated for not being good enough games to deserve their luanch prices. Massive hype and little substance. Pirates are right to show thier discontent.

I would like to see what Steam Holiday Sales are like. I would hazard a guess that it's profitable and the numbers of purchases are an all time high.

Maybe one day (certain culprit) game developers will learn that if they cater for their customers, their work won't get as pirated and be more profitable.

5. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im a diffrent kind of guy and i hated cod4, cod5, and now cod6 really. When I look to see how much call of duty 4 still cost, which is 40-50 bucks still, im astonished. I have not seen any other PC game not drop in price down to 30-25 bucks, and cod4 and up are still basicly 40 bucks +.

I thought it was rediculas to pay 50 dollars for a game yet it came out 1-2 years ago before cod6 came out. Rediculas i tell you. Ya sure cod4 had dedicated servers and alot of players, but wasnt there 20 other games like tf2, left 4 dead, and many other games which were just as fun, and had dedicated servers yet were pennys on the dollar. I baught Call of duty 4 at wallmart for 50 bucks. I enjoyed playing the game a bit and did 50 hours on the game, but it just wasnt my kind of shooter. I ended up striking rich though. I got those xfx 9600gso's on newegg that came with call of duty 4 in the box, and newegg shipped call of duty 5 with it also.

So i got 2 cod4's and 2 cod5's for free with cd keys legit. I was happy on 200 dollars in games :). Turns out I Lovecod5 and would pay 50 bucks for that game, but cod4 i would pay 20 bucks for. Not that much.

Now cod6 comes out and i love the look of it but its the same cost as can find F'ing left 4 dead 2.

*I might start torrenting again*.

Now im getting to my piont, were theres not any other PC game out in the industry that has priced there game at 50 dollars and above and kept it at 50 dollars and above for at least a year. I find myself clueliss on how they still make money, but it is a good game. Also for the PC users I herd the game wasnt so great but on the xbox is was wonderfull and my freind says he will keep chuging away on his 360.
    :laugh:

6. @RaXxaa@ New Member

Thanks Received:
    They dont work as much as they earn from a simple product, they invest so little and are experts at what they do so least effort and earn millions and billions etc

AND MOST IMPORANTLY THE COD SERIES HAS A CAMPAIGN OF HARDLY 7 HOURS SOMETHING SO WHY PAY $60 OR $40 FOR COD4 WHICH IS SUPPOSE TO BE 19.99

7. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    okay so you like getting screwed, then obviously its one thing to buy a good game its another thing to push out crap that didnt take much work at all. i dont think you realize how little was needed for MW2 it is the same game engine same base character models with new textures, considering my former college courses its MW2 was not nearly as hard a game to make they spent more time removing features and replacing them then anything else, and i agree by law pirating is wrong but under the grounds of my previously stated opinions on the matter i support it. lets face it if you DONT pirate prices will go up if you do pirate prices will go up your damned if you do and damned if you dont but i for one refuse to be told im buying the RIGHT to play and that i DONT own my games untill companies see that they can once again kiss my arse.

its my money and i used it to by a PRODUCT not a SERVICE two competely different things thus pirating is fine with me till companies acknowledge that fact

and again i see more modders making extra content for games putting in more effort and making better content then the game developers we are paying money to so hows that for a swift kick

8. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    And if the game companies stopped being so greedy and stopped
    treated gamers with complete content then maybe there wont be the need to pirate.
    Sure youll still have piracy but im sure it would be a lot less than it is now.

9. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I tend to agree for MW2. Fuckers need to learn to LISTEN to their fan base.

Yeah, that is just a bit insane. Is there a used market? Shipping isn't that bad, can't you get it from somewhere cheaper and get it mailed?

10. ChewyBrownSuga

ChewyBrownSuga

Thanks Received:
    If you don't like a developer fine then don't buy their products, but when you pirate the game ur stealing THEIR product THEY put the effort in.

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    WOW and i don't even like any of those games haha..

12. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    lol i know how much effort goes into game content and if you disect CODMW2 its easily seeable most of it is reused from previous games which is why they pump the games out so fast and i still support those that pirate because you seem to not understand your not buying a PRODUCT anymore your buying a SERVICE you do NOT own the game all you own is the right to play it as they see fit thus you dont on anything therefor i dont support there greed nor there incompetence to try and sell me regurgitated crap that came out 2 years ago + that i also dont own according to there own Terms when u agree to install the game
    its much like itunes when u agree to its terms and install it you agree not use itunes to make chemical weapons yea again another WTF moment :roll:

in terms of the law pirating is wrong

in terms of teaching developers to not be douchebag totally justifiable

13. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    I understand all of crazyeyereaper is trying to say, and I agree with him on most points. I pay $100+ AUD, which is $88+ USD!

The only trifle I see with pirating is that it makes game developers lose interest in the PC Genre and keep there games strictly for console only. I know there is pirating for Console Games, however the large majority of console owners don't even know what a torrent is, let alone how to download one, burn the file to disk, mod the console and then play the game. If we keep pirating games we will just in turn receive crap from the developers or never see the game on the PC. If we stopped pirating, we would see an influx of good quality games coming to the PC genre without absured DRM and Security features. Its a hard cookie to crack this, both sides have plausible cases to why they do what they do....

Also remember a large majority of torrenters dont give a rats ass about all this crap and just download for the free st0ff pl0x..

14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Its funny how many call the game crap and yet how many pirate it.

It it were crap then it woudn't get pirated, if it were priced at $5 it woud still get pirated as the majority don't look at the logistics of their decision other than if they have to pay.

So $5 for a game I can get for free?

Lie all you want to yourself, but don't come here try and spread that bullshit. Lieing fuckers.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  15. KieX

Thanks Received:
    I have not pirated MW2 because I don't like the game and I wouldn't waste my internet bandwidth over it.

But if it were something I felt strongly enough about I'd do it just to prove a point. Stealing a game in such case is no different to making a fuss at a store where you've been given bad customer service.

16. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    If i knew ppl in the states then yeah i could get products cheaper then again pretty much everything is cheaper than the states. Steam i can get it cheaper than the shops to even though we pay more than prices wich are in US.

17. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    true enough but ive seen more then a few pirates stand up for good companies not all pirates are bad i like to make a point ever good game ive paid for and then some examples

Doom 3 + expansion Total War games hell i bought Rome total War for the 3rd time cause i lost disk 1 lol

but again i refuse to pay for a game loaded with DRM that i dont actually own all i own is the right to play it as ive stated before what would you do if you bought a car but didnt really own it instead u pay the maintence for it u put gas in it but you can only drive it at such and such times and in such and such a manner THATs utter bullshit and everyone knows it.

and DRM wont stop on PC sadly more then a few devs are willing to get rid of DRM but if they do so they lose money from investors it all boils down to money investors pay to see the game they want creativity in games is dead example cookie cutter CoD same game for the past 3 games

im also one of the few ppl that likes to physicall have my games to look at the boxes and see my collection but with companies pushing more and more garbage its harder to justify paying good money for games that dont even RUN at launch

or like dragon age are missing content in the retail version (free to get but the points still valid)

you want me to buy there games they should make a complete damn game that runs that damn simple

or Saints Row 2 on PC fun game to bad even with an quadcore at 3.4ghz and 2 5850s you will only average 15fps at low settings

18. ChewyBrownSuga

ChewyBrownSuga

Thanks Received:
    I guess I'm not getting it

I don't see why people are pirating to teach developers a lesson when not buying the game would be good enough

If you don't like something then don't pay it any mind

19. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Funny how game companies claim/justify the $60 price tag directly because of pirateing.

20. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    then theres games like sabotuer that dont run properly on PC hardware namely most ATi cards have issues with the game and it wont run or runs like crap and since EA laid off 80% of the studio behind the game theres no ETA on any patch just another example of why i support piracy

its simple remove DRM
    make a stable game
    release it at a decent price
    dont micro charge for garbage

again good example of this is Stardock entertainment
    they use minimal DRM usually just a cd key nothing else and still get decent sales and are well respected as a company they prove that $49.99 is fine and that lowering there prices and offering deals makes money as well even with Demigod at some rediculous 80% piracy rate they still made enough money to make and start development on Demigod 2 so again

the price hike and the bullshit is unneeded it actually costs more to put the securom on there disks then anything else

that and getting a game like Europ Universalis rome where a 4gig game disk thats completely full has only 700mbs of actualy game data

21. KieX

Thanks Received:
    I'd say it all has to do with greed in the end. Some developers are greedy, ask for a high price and alienate their fans prompting them to pirate. And there are pirates who are also greedy, taking so much for free that even a bargain can't disuade them off their ways.

But as long as some developers keep going about business without consideration for their customers, this is gonna remain a vicious cycle.

crazyeyesreaper says thanks.
  22. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    exactly all in all you ppl cant say you wouldnt be pleased to see just 1 game released on day 1 that just plain worked that supported your peripherals and was just plain fun and for once was complete

all the games i see out now are not complete there rushed there unstable at launch they crash etc its just sad companies blame pirates but at the end of the day the blame does fall on both sides but what do you expect ? im not gonna pay full price for garbage nor would i pay for a meal that would certainly give me food poisoning lol

23. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    The sims 3 was leaked by EA as a beta version.
    MW2 not surprised at all.
    High Wii piracy not surprised at that either with all the crud on it and it being so easy to get the homebrew channel.
    PSP? i dont see stats for that but man i bet its healthy in the high regions for piracy its a piece of piss to custom firmware.

Interesting, "Using data from public BitTorrent tracker reports they calculated the total number of times each game had been downloaded." It cant be full numbers tho as it cant be all the torrents of the same game they took downloads from with there being so many private and so many torrents.

BTW most games dont work online when cracked that effects sales a lot too.

PC games in the UK are some of the cheapest in the market, i could have gotten Borderlands for £12 got it on xbox 360 in a sale for £17.99 but thats besides the point most 360 games are £30-50 in the UK pc games are always under £35. Its the fact so many people dont have decent PCs because they are generally thought to be high priced for decent machines, most factory built pcs are expensive, custom builds require knowledge or someone's knowledge consoles are the same for everyone.

24. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    actually most games work online if u use hamachi

Borderlands

L4D

Rome total war

theres a huge list many many games that are pirated will work with Hamachi
    which is another blow to developers hey come pay us for this game and for extra content online and to play online on are servers opps they fail again since theres a free alternative

again basically put for everything a developer makes theres seems to be a few soles that mod it and make better content or find ways around there idiocy example MW2 and VAC that was a joke cant ban ppl cant kick ppl no dedicated servers obviously that was changed pretty quickly now wasnt it ;)

look at the newer mods coming out like Mech warrior L L another example of a group of ppl working on something they love for free and kicks the butt of most commerical products that its compared to and its still beta

and 360 piracy is rampant in my area as ppl dont usualy pay for Xbox live they dont care they download flash the firmware and play

25. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's wrong to remove content then charge a higher price and expect people to pay for it. Two wrongs don't make a right.

H82LUZ73, KieX and crazyeyesreaper say thanks.