1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Most Pirated Games of 2009

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by TheMailMan78, Dec 30, 2009.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    agreed some games are free on gamershell with military advertising usually a video plays from time to time to try and recruit you and i can deal with that to get a free game :toast:

2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Or what Radiohead did with there IN Rainbows albulm having it on the net ppl could set there own price that certainly didnt hurt them as the albulm was a big seller.

3. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I hate those. I've reported a few who do so at stalls here in sunday markets in London. Shame police never seem to do anything about them though.

On-topic: Do people recon those stats will increase or decrease? I personally believe there is a correlation between DRM (+ other restrictions) and piracy so with games like Mass Effect 2 playing nicely with customers I'd have to imagine it will drop

4. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I actually think it will go down as filters will be introduced in most western countries eventually to were they block torrents/news groups. Sure the smartones will use proxies ect and have other methods but ppl not as tech knowlegable will not have any idea.

5. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, no wonder the rest of the world hates America? Like triprift said, I could say so much more about your nation but I wont.. lets leave it at this.

6. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Ok how about we just put a veil over that one shall we.

Sensi Karate says thanks.
  7. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well - with this I completely agree. Based upon the Copyright Act of 1980 (http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Software_Copyright_Act_of_1980) we're given the right to make backup copies of ALL digital media for our own personal use. Thing is, the DMCA never exactly addressed these earlier acts, and it didn't exactly overturn it, either.

Personally, I don't see a problem with breaking copyright protection - if the sole purpose is to make personal backups of one's media. Breaking copy protection simply to be able to use, distribute or partake of illegal media (meaning, digital media that you did not purchase usage rights to), is completely wrong and illegal.

Well, technically, you don't own the software . . . or, at least, the rights to it. You own a legal copy of the software that's you've been given usage rights to because you payed x amount for the usage rights.

Here, let's look at Crysis' EULA real quick: http://www.ea.com/portal/pdf/legal/EULA-Crysis.pdf

Let's start with section one:
    Specifically the portion highlighted - if you DO NOT agree with the terms of the EULA, don't use the software. By using the software, you are agreeing to the terms of the EULA, and can be held accountable if you break the terms of the EULA.

On to section two:

again, here, you are being given the right to use the software in a manner outline in the manual and packaging. Note, as well, this does not include "modification" of the game in any way shape or form . . . but, thankfully, most game developers are more than willing to allow communities to modify their games - so long as users don't try to make any money off of their mods. Mods are good for the game, and good for the community as a whole . . .

Now, section three:

That right there means that the user has no property rights to the software in any way shape or form. Again, you're being given usage rights . . . not ownership rights.

On to section four:

That should be pretty self explanatory. Again, though, the DMCA did not exactly overturn or over-rule the older Copyright Acts (1980, 1988), which had stated that you can make backups of one's purchased media. Although the average EULA today states otherwise, it's not an offense that reguarly prosecuted . . . unless you start selling off or passing out illegal copies.

Section five:

All that right there pretty much boils down to an extension of the prior section - you're prohibited from making copies, or demanufacturing the software . . . you're not being given the rights to do so, as you have a usage right.

Now, granted, not all EULA are exactly the same - they vary greatly from one dev to the next . . . but they all read about the same, cover the same points, restrictions and limitations, and have changed very little over the last 20-30 years.

Again, plain and simple - if you don't fully agree with the terms of the EULA, don't use the software. If you don't agree with the pricing of the software at retail - don't purchase it. If you don't like what the devs have cut from their title, don't purchase it. If you still download the game illegally and play it - congratulations, you've contributed to piracy and are a douche. :toast:

Sensi Karate and EnergyFX say thanks.
  8. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    Ironicly i downloaded most of these.

Call of duty mw2
    Prototype
    SF4
    NSMB
    The Sims 3
    :roll:

I ended up buying

COD MW2 and NSMb the rest were not worth it. lol

crazyeyesreaper says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    I agree with the whole piracy when it's deserved thing, like MW2 on PC, no dedicated servers? Fuck em', I condone pirating MW2 on PC. 360 on the other hand is business as usual so no need to pirate it unless you're cheap.

I feel piracy is ok if you weren't going to pay for it in the first place. I was never going to buy L4D2 so they didn't lose out on money, same applies for movies, I'd never see [movie here] in cinema, I pirate it and end up buying the DVD when it comes out which means they win in the end. They're all corporate robbing bastards anyway, yes me not buying a DVD for a measly €10 off the internet is going to ruin them even though they spend millions on advertising alone. If they need the money so bad stop paying 1 actor millions for one fucking movie.

And as for someone mentioning paying for Xbox Live Gold, jesus, what's €60 a year when you have a job? Minimum wage job here (read: flipping burgers) gets you €1,384 a month, €7 month is nothing for Xbox Live Gold, I know some are more fortunate than others, but paying a small fee is not a valid argument. I spend more than €7 in a week on drinks for my lunch break...

patheticcockroach and KieX say thanks.
  10. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL!!!! im currently in the south korea. and i can go buy mw2 for 2 bucks downtown, they just burn em to dvd's they dont have any copyright laws over here, the korean goverment really dont care.

you can probbaly add 100,000 too that number! HAHAHHAAA

11. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    thats the problem with public bit torrent tracker reports the cable company sees them to then you get a notice via email sayiing if you continue to download your going to jail!! not so much downloading going on anymore ;)

12. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is NO justification for pirating a game. No argument any of you try to make can change the fact that pirating is stealing. Stealing is wrong and is illegal.

If developers need to be taught a lesson for any reason whatsoever then the legal ammunition is to simply not buy the game. Personally, I would love for all the thieves out there to start getting caught and start paying a very high price for their crimes.

Sensi Karate and ChewyBrownSuga say thanks.
  13. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    And people say we can't take a joke. a nation of outcast religious nutjobs who love to murder natives, inslave minorities, and have everything on tv but nudity, cause that is a sin!!

10 Million points folded for TPU
  14. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    Everything on the internet should be free... I paid for the internet! :laugh:

neoreif says thanks.
  15. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perfectly said! :respect:

To all the software pirates out there... you know for a fact that what you are doing is wrong. You know for a fact that if you get taken to court that you have no legitimate defense for your crime. You can justify and legitimize it in your head all you want, but it is still illegal out here in the real world.

Either buy it or don't play it.

16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I don't pirate games period, not even mf2

pirating games is wrong no matter what, even if you are getting ripped off, I look at this game and I think maybe they deserve it, but its still illegal

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  17. TVman

TVman New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes people buy the games and be slaves for the big corporate bloodsuckers:rolleyes:

18. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I know. I was in Progresso Mexico and their video stores sell movies that are still in theaters. If I would have looked hard enough, I could have found games too.

19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    because of multiplayer - 99% of the time I will not pirate a game. but if the game in question is only for offline use then its not so bad.

but yes I agree - it is wrong. but there are so many companies out there that turn a blind eye to the consumers - their asking for it.

when situations like this happen you can either not buy their product, go waste time signing online petitions which they probably wont take any notice of anyway or just i pirate it.

its not right what some of these companies do

TVman says thanks.
  20. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Having some sort of mandatory registration for games is what is needed a lot of people will hate me for that but its better than no protection or strict DRM.

Its like the guy who got caught smuggling drugs into China and was executed for it, Akmal Shaikh. Easy enough to blame him and whoever convinced him to do it but its also easy enough to say no or not try drugs in the end, if there is no demand people wont sell it.

So for piracy people need to stop saying yes and stop using illegal material, stop trying to start a police state too i dont like that. Just face facts people will always get around laws and preventions i would recommend they try let it die out on its own. Maybe by making games better quality and forcing people to buy the games (i dont know how but they have too somehow make it just more than a moral choice), cheaper PC games are already starting to happen in the UK and other places need to follow that example. People can crack games that require registration i forgot that but you get the idea you can get tougher but they need to do other things to encourage owning the products.

Special editions are a good example, they come with collectables and downloads that you cant get with a pirated copy of a game.

EDIT: do you think that making pirating games legal would make it go away? i dont think so its like cannabis users who claim that making it legal will reduce the number of people using it... same idea but this time i dont think anyone would agree that making it legal is the answer, nor is getting big brother to spy on our internet, if they can spy on your downloads they can just as easily find your bank details and passwords, in the wrong hands someone could abuse that system... like a naughty employee.

KieX says thanks.
  21. KieX

Thanks Received:
    I think that about sums up perfectly my opinions on piracy.

22. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I have to do work on the side as opposed to my full time job to cover games. It is how I keep the peace with the ball and chain. If the game is that important to you work extra to afford it or wait until it goes in the bargain bins. Stealing it is pathetic and makes for higher prices.

23. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did say lol, didn't I?

They also did that with the Indie game World of Goo and showed that a majority paid over $2 as less is just paying paypal...

Yes, thats what everyone that pirates says... "They're only losing $10..." x 5million = 50 million... it all adds up. People potientally lose jobs over this, and its quite a serious matter. Developers go bankrupt or get fired/cut because of this.

And whats this rubbish about "If I wasn't going to buy it in the first place then its fine to download." That just doesn't make any sense. Its like, "Oh, if I'm not going to buy it.. I can download it then" and even if you buy the game afterwards, you'd most likely get it when its discounted to a nickle and go.. "hey I've done the right thing."

I pay $100+ for my games but I don't fuss.. sure its a lot but so is groceries, internet, power bills, petrol... Just buy it off steam if its so much...

Remember the people who make the games, behind the desks programming the games until late at night, also need money for grocieries, internet, power bills, petrol and games...

EnergyFX says thanks.
  24. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I didn't download MW2 since there wouldn't be any decent multiplayer anyway.

Out of the top 5 on PC, I downloaded 2 things: Prototype and the demo for SHIFT.
    Prototype is long gone already and wasn't worth buying IMHO, same with the SHIFT demo.
    So let me write a small letter here.

25. dinjo_jo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just Hope that they dont mess up with MGS port to PC due next year