1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Most stable LGA 1155, 2011 boards (no OC)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by BlackOmega, Mar 18, 2012.

1. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone,
    A friend recently asked me to put together a rig for him. For his uses overclocking is out of the question, and not necessary. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is stability.

Basically this machine has to be able to run 24/7 for up to a year at a time without a hiccup.

What boards are the best for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    All boards are designed to do just that.
    BlackOmega says thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This, even the cheapest board can handle 24/7 for years just fine, as long as your psu provides clean power.
    BlackOmega says thanks.
  4. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. I kind of thought the same thing, however, I was just wondering if there were any boards, enthusiast or not, that are simply better than others at this.

In regards to power supplies, I pertty much only use SeaSonic or SeaSonic built units which have always served me well. I still have a couple that simply run flawlessly with excellent ripple suppression and excellent overall stability.

Appreciate the replies.
  5. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    i would assume, lesser the fancy components, higher the reliability because the things that can go wrong are less? which means, getting something with 4 DIMM slots (instead of 8 in the case of a X79), no 3rd party disk controllers etc.

but when it comes to x79, you might not be able to get a board with bare minimum features.

in the case of socket 1155 boards, i'd assume P67 to be more stable than a Z68 because Lucid Virtu (driver i mean) can cause problems. there is no real need for Z68 if you don't use with QuickSync.

Less features = more stable (hardware wise as well as driver wise) i believe.
    BlackOmega and mudkip say thanks.
  6. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    How would the H67 boards fare? This rig is for sound creation so the less components the better. As long as the onboard video would suffice, then that's all that would be necessary. The only thing I'd really want it to have is ample PCI slots for sound processor cards and whatnot. @
  7. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Since it is for non-overclocking, H67 would be great. I don't know if it will be more stable though. Since H67 is not highend, I'd assume P67 board will have better power regulation and such.
    BlackOmega says thanks.
  8. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I really like the ASUS Workstation Revolution series of motherboards. They do exude a sense of quality and stability. Not sure if statistically that's true or not, but if I were building a server off one, I'd definitely consider them. Haven't actually owned one myself, though. They are quite pricey at the moment, though.

I have to say if you want to eliminate extra clutter, Biostar is a good manufacturer to look at for P67/Z68. They boot faster than any other 1155 mobo I've had simply because there's less crap on them (that I honestly don't need).
    BlackOmega says thanks.