1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard can't detect new graphics card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by koorosh, Jul 23, 2011.

1. koorosh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I recently bought a new graphics an it doesn't detect by the motherboard noway.:banghead: When the system boots it restarts several times (before post screen) and after some restarts it finally show post screen but I realized that it is using the onboard graphics because it says 2.5GB + 64MB shared memory!! Even though I connected the monitor to the card. I had some issues with older graphics that was a 7900GT but it was temporary. Moreover it boots fine with the onboard graphics too.

specs:
    Athlon X2 4000
    Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2L bios f7-f8
    2GB + 512MB DDR2
    680W real psu, it's a known brand here no problems there
    Old graphics: 7900GT
    New graphics: 5570 Powercolor

BTW does it do anything with PCI-E 2.0, I thought they are compatible with version 1.1.

Thank in advance

2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Did you clear the CMOS/reset the BIOS, before inserting the new card and booting?
    Also, did you completely uninstall the nVidia drivers?
    They are.

koorosh says thanks.
  3. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

perhaps try to disable the onboard video in the bios and see if it detects the new videocard. I guess this is one of the cases where an older generation board does not work nicely with some new generation videocard (such as the HD5000 in combination with certain VIA chipsets or nForce chipsets). I notice there's a newer beta bios (F9E) which may help, so try to update the bios and see if it helps, it just may improve compatibility with newer videocards.

koorosh says thanks.
  4. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    try to disable onboard vga then turn off and plug in vga then turn it on again
    resetting bios could be tried

koorosh says thanks.
  5. koorosh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for answers,
    I cleared CMOS using the jumper and reset bios settings: no luck:(
    There is no option to actually disable onboad vga but there is a option that says: "First initialize display" and it has three choices: PCI, PEG (PCI-E graphics), Onboard. None of them helped
    I tried the beta bios and it was the same:cry:

I did some investigation and find out that while PCIe 2.0 is compatible with PCIe 1.1, PCIe 2.1 is NOT that compatible with 1.1!! In some cases they work and some don't. Hell I don't want to buy a new mobo for this reason:shadedshu

Any other suggestions highly appreciated

6. koorosh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well one step ahead:D
    After a long testing the card is now detects by the bios after some restarts. It successfully boots windows and I installed the drivers too. The problem is still when the system boots/restarts it restarts several times to show post screen.

7. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i had the same problem with an intel g945m itx board + mobile core 2 duo and an HD5770 it just would not boot with it. a few pci-e 1.0 boards have problems with the HD 5XXX series.

koorosh says thanks.
  8. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad mine isn't one of them. :laugh:

9. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i slapped an HD 6850 (PCI-E 2.1) on a PCI-E 1.0a based board (very old nForce 4 based board) and it booted without problems :)

koorosh says thanks.