1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard/Cpu compatibility

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Mayer, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Mayer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, i wonder if the phenom II x4 970 will be compatible with this motherboard, without bios update. I'm building a new system and once i get it all, this cpu will be the only one that could possibly fit the motherboard and if it doesn't, i don't see how i could update my bios..

I know there's a bios version that support this cpu, the socket and everything is right, i just don't know if the board will come with the updated bios. (buying from tigerdirect.ca)

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3417#ov

Regards, Mayer.
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Worse case scenario is your will have to buy a Used CPU on e-bay that will work to do an update. An old cheep $15. Been there done that
  3. Zyon

Zyon New Member

Thanks Received:
    A safe way is to go to a website that offers custom built systems and try to select these two together but the chances that there are online customisable is slim.

If you're getting the 970 for the sake of better chance of overclocking (http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/847697-pheon-ii-x4-965-oc-vs.html) then 955 might be a better choice with only slightly slower and still a chance to get a good overclocking chip, with $30 less at newegg plus guarantee that it will work on the motherboard you want to buy. (same chips that are clocked differently but handpicked the supposedly 'best' for 970)
  4. Mayer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your replies. I changed my mind, now i'm getting an Asus crosshair IV extreme, with the 955 be.
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And why would you want to do that? Depending on what you want to do, I think its best to either wait for Bulldozer or consider getting Intel's Sandy Bridge. Getting a mid ranged AMD system right now is not the wisest decision imo.
  6. KBcobra New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't worry at all. Back in the day with AM2+ I had a brand new 9950 on an ASUS board that had an old bios. It worked but I had to flash the bios to the latest one to get rid of the bugs. A 970 would work fine before a bios update BUT I would flash the bios as soon as it posted. Worst case scenario, you have to buy a Sempron 140 (dirt cheap about $30 or less) and flash the bios. Then sell it back.