1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard damage, what's the effect

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Toby Ireland, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Toby Ireland New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello all... I'm a bit concerned about some damage i inflicted apon my motherboard accidently while trying to remove the white clips that lock through the motherboard to secure my northbridge heatsink. i attempted to compress the clips with pliers, not realising that at the same time i was tearing up a few strings of gold track on the motherboard... completely disconnecting about 6 of the tracks, and severing a few others... however i'm on that computer now, so it seems to be working, but i'm concerned about what effect it may have on my computer, can someone please enlighten me..?

2. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe you'll be able to pencil mod it (if I'm using the right term), well get them to conect again... someone will better inform you on how to do it I'm sure, I gtg so I cant look it up.

3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    you can use a pencil method to reconnect the leads....but hopefully its nothing to small (get extremely hard to do it).

4. Toby Ireland New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've looked around google for info on pencil modding repair solutions but can't find any, so i would really appreciate if anyone could tell me how to repair my motherboard... great thanks...

5. Toby Ireland New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the theory that if i trace the broken section of the track with a pencil i'll create a new conducting path that will work adequetly..?

6. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Ah jeez man... too bad about this happening to you first of all.

:(

Now, I don't know about this pencil stuff, but if you are decent w/ a soldering iron, & have some wire available?

You can "do this right" as far as I am concerned, w/ a bit of patience & caution, & put in a nice conduction circuit, via this method, connecting the traces w/ said wire & solder!

(Very "oldschool" & reminds me of a "f'up" I did drilling thru a case here once where I blew thru a RAM chip partially, shredding part of its surface only thank god, because like most boards, it has layers (back circa 1992 when I was modding a case) & did this very thing & I lucked out in that it worked... sounds dumb today, but back then? 1mb of RAM ran you $45 U.S. Dollars per 1 mb!)

I had no choice I was just a poor student back then & had to go about it THIS way...

APK

P.S.=> Whatever the case may be here though, blasting up traces is NOT "good business" but, mistakes are necessary too - live & learn! apk

7. Toby Ireland New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks heaps to all... i've taken the advice of each of you into great consideration, and done what i could with a pencil... however the tip of the fine lead was broad enough to cover two or three tracks at once... i gave up but the motherboard has shown no signs of damage at all... so i'll hope for the best... thanks again...

8. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    not with a pencil :S pencil mod is like useing a pencil like aplicator with conductive material.. there are some mods here Infared is one who can fix it maybe if you send him your mobo.. those lines must do somthing... its not somthing I would leave alone... have you played any games with the mobo? it might affect overclocking, who knows.. not me.

9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    a photo would help

you can use a conductive pen / rear window defogger repair kit to connect the traces.. use a fine sand paper to remove the epoxy at the messed up ends so you can easily connect to the trace

10. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    it wont be easy...i cant imagine how many microleads are under the NB...