1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard error: MAC address are invalid in both CMOS and Flash

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darren, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday I cleared the cmos via jumper and to my surprise started to get an annoying error message at boot up stating "MAC address is invalid in both CMOS and flash". I can bypass the message by pressing F1 or F2 and continue into windows however my network card would appear to have low connectivity due to it not sending or receiving data. I found an application called "Technitium MAC Address Changer v5" and I've managed to generate a random MAC address which has allowed me to connect online however I still get the error as I attempt to boot up.

My motherboard is: ALiveNF7G-HD720p R5.0

MY problem is similar to these persons http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=456922

Edit 1:

I briefly read it but stopped once I realised the link for the Asrock MAC tool is broken:(. Although I've managed to find my original MAC address on the rear parallel port panel as the link says.

Edit 2:

I've tried disabling the built-in LAN but I still get the error on boot up. I'm emailing Asrock now.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you look here ?

3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a setting. It was on my dad old mobo and got enabled by default. I think it was MAC boot rom, or Lan boot rom or something.
    I'm not at home right now so cant check. see if you have anything in your bios and see if it is enabled or not.