1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

motherboard hard drive controllers gone bad

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by natr0n, Mar 7, 2013.

1. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    So basically I discovered my random lagging in games ,stuttering, recordings,running benchmarks and such is the hard drive controllers.
    One is chipset and other is a marvel. HD tune and HD tach show insane data spike drops even from 100 to 0.
    I emailed Asrock for an RMA waiting on a reply.

I want to know if anyone else has ever had this issue before. I have never encountered such an issue ever.:wtf:
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I've had onboard hard drive controllers go bad, but never like your describe. Usually they just stop detecting hard drives.

I find it extremely hard to believe that both controllers on the board went bad though...
    natr0n says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like your hard drive is the problem not the controller. The symptoms your describing are of a hard drive failing.. Have you tried hdtune with a different hard drive?
    natr0n says thanks.
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I had a system do something simlar. HD Tune revealed was benchmarking at less than 1 MB/s transfer rates. I swapped the cable, retested the drive with HD Tune, and the problem was resolved.
    Aquinus and natr0n say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I think I figured it out for now. My main 250 GB windows 7 got corrupted. I used a spare 80GB test drive with windows 7 on it to confirm.
    [​IMG]
    any test booting from this drive showed erratic behavior no matter what drive was tested.
    [​IMG]
    any test booting from this drive showed smooth normal behavior on all drives.
    I ran a few benchmarks and no stuttering on test drive.
    New cables made no difference.
    Everything seems fine so far.

Thanks for assistance guys.
  6. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    reseat and reapply TIM.
    natr0n says thanks.
  7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. With ASRock too.

I got a Z77 Pro4-m to run as a media server. Popped in four 2 TB drives (RAID 5 array) and an SSD, and booted everything up.

HDD formatting (RAID) took forever. I finally got the array formatted, and was encrypting with Truecrypt. Access speeds on the array never exceeded 18 MB/s, with the constant speed bottoming out below 15 MB/s. Encrypting the array would have taken 3+ days. Comparatively, my old atom build took less than 39 hours to do the same. I thought there was an error, but allowed the encryption to go. 26 hours later the system randomly locked up. Restarted, and it got about 45 hours. Then I began to assume it was the board.

Pulled the HDDs, and checked them on other systems. No problems, and an access speed greater than double the ASRock board reported. The RAM test yielded no errors. A nearly 12 hour burn test didn't do anything. The only culprit left was the board, so it is currently on the way to California for an RMA.
    natr0n says thanks.
  8. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    my test drive is going bad now lol f me

how many days does it take for rma response hoffer ?
  9. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Two things. Last time I RMAd was for a DOA board. Two RAM slots were toast, and it took about 9 days to get back to me (business, it was 13 days in reality).

The second is that I am currently returning a mobo (ie, it's in the mail) for that same reason.

What step are you at? I ask because their general RMA channel sucks. If you'd like I can give you a contact there, who's dang good at getting the RMA process rolling.
  10. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    It's been like 2 days mailed both emails rma and support.

I would appreciate that contact. =)
  11. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    are you also sure its not just cables?
  12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    A actually have a s478 motherboard that has busted IDE-controllers. It boots but is unstable as tits when anything is connected to any port. It can happen, but I think it's a pretty rare problem.
  13. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I removed all the cables, all drives unplugged, only a 250gb fresh windows install with new cable looks fine so far. I had a bout with bad luck and it seems to be gone now.

I don't think I can qualify for rma since my board is 1 year covered and had it for 2 years. I can save $50 charge for out of warranty as well.

I will get a new board sometime soon perhaps.