• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard mosfet replacement/upgrades!

As a hardware enthusiast I have been having this fascinating question of replacing stock motherboard/gpu vrm mosfets with larger more beefier ones that require little to no cooling plus get 2x or 3x the wattage capacity!
I do have a hot air station/soldering station and will be doing some experiments on some old am3 boards I have laying around.
I have looked online everywhere and it's very hard to find smc varieties of mosfets that don't s*ck and those that can be found are very weak, so I will have to go with vertical ones where you can actually install proper heatsinks on like the one shown in the image:

(Note this is just for reference)

Last edited:
System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
I know many have swapped caps, but never seen mosfets swapped.

There is a tpu user who loves swapping caps on older gear and gets good overclocks that you wold never think.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I know many have swapped caps, but never seen mosfets swapped.

There is a tpu user who loves swapping caps on older gear and gets good overclocks that you wold never think.
@buildzoid

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Yes I've been swapping MOSFETS for some time now. Sofar I've found "turn off/on" "rise/fall times" to be better than going for MOSFETS that give outright higher output. Saying this I have a collection of MOSFETS in the TO-252 package I've never tested. Just because a MOSFET has higher output, does not mean you will get that, don't be fooled by it because it will always be limited by bondwire/trace layout,

These are my favorite MOSFETS in the TO-252 package IPD70N03S4L-04 Infineon Technologies | Mouser United Kingdom. Guaranteed improved undervolt/overclocking for CPU when fitted to high & low side DDR1/DDR2 platform.

If i could find better MOSFETS for my GFX cards, yes I would change them, but I've yet to find better. I've only seen one or two repair users on YOUTUBE change just one or two MOSFETS for better ones other than changeling the lot with better MOSFETS. That's what I would do as I feel changing just one or two is wasting my time. Beside this I don't want a repeat of the fault,

I already pointed this out, but it's the bondwire the MOSFET itself that's the limiting factor, this is why I also look at the "diode continuous drain current" in the PDF.
I took the idea of replacing/upgrading the mosfets to lower vrm temperatures at stock speeds as I'm not a big fan of overclocking :).

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
im no expert but what does upgrading these mosfet ultimately achieve for the motherboard?

I took the idea of replacing/upgrading the mosfets to lower vrm temperatures at stock speeds as I'm not a big fan of overclocking :).

I don't think it lowers VRM temperature. ...& I need to correct myself as it does not improve overclocking, in some case it does but it's very small. The biggest change is in the required voltage device needs.

Example: If a CPU needs 1.525v to do 4GHz stable, change in MOSFETS will drop that to 1.5 or 1.475v. This is what's happening here. The chances of them blowing up at high temperature is also reduce compared to the original MOSFETS.

I don't think it lowers VRM temperature. ...& I need to correct myself as it does not improve overclocking, in some case it does but it's very small. The biggest change is in the required voltage device needs.

Example: If a CPU needs 1.525v to do 4GHz stable, change in MOSFETS will drop that to 1.5 or 1.475v. This is what's happening here. The chances of them blowing up at high temperature is also reduce compared to the original MOSFETS.
Hm that does make sense although I might have to add that the only reason I wanted to try vertical mosfets is because of the way the heatsink mounts(with a screw)

[And here was I...picturing myself adding massive aluminium heatsinks to satisfy my lust for excessive cooling]

im no expert but what does upgrading these mosfet ultimately achieve for the motherboard?
Lower board temperatures around the vrm area and also better cooling for the undividual misfets since vertical mosfets have a screw hole for attaching directly to an aluminium heatsink meaning you can go overkill with cooling!

Hm that does make sense although I might have to add that the only reason I wanted to try vertical mosfets is because of the way the heatsink mounts(with a screw)

[And here was I...picturing myself adding massive aluminium heatsinks to satisfy my lust for excessive cooling]

Lower board temperatures around the vrm area and also better cooling for the undividual misfets since vertical mosfets have a screw hole for attaching directly to an aluminium heatsink meaning you can go overkill with cooling!

I see, you want to bolt each & every MOSFET to an individual heatsink. Yes this will work, however each MOSFET contact point will increase. YOU also have the danger if one is knocked over high & low side will come into contact. Personally I think it's too dangerous & fragile for such a mod. Your better off soldering copper shimm & then solder a small heatsink to the MOSFET which I have already done in one of my older projects which worked very well. It turns a non overclockable motherboard into a very overclockable one at high voltage. With this mod I tried to blow-up the MOSFETS with max voltage, but I failed.
If your not into overclocking, it will run cooler because the heatsink is now soldered directly to the MOSFETS. You need a downdraft CPU cooler for this mod to work.

EDIT UPDATE: Sorry your idea can work. Bend the drain leg backwards to balance the MOSFET so that it sits flat/level with the motherboard. Don't forget you need to cut all MOSFET legs shorter so that it sits low profile but standing up.. ....The middle leg should look like a backwards L shape with the two outer legs inline with it so that it can stand upright on it's own on a flat surface.

2ND EDIT UPDATE: You can be adventurous & bend the two outer legs forward L shape while the center one is reversed L shape, not forgetting it must be able to stand on it's own upright on a flat surface. This mod should keep the MOSFETS stable if you knock it around, but there is still the risk if you knock it around too much you could lift PCB traces.

Don't forget keep High-side & Low-side heatsink separate. They must never come into contact.

Last edited:
You shouldn't try it anyway. They have too high inductances to actually switch at high frequencies that enable them to be low in power dissipation in the first place!
Best case it won't turn on. Worst case? It hard turns on and explodes!

TO220 mosfets are built for old applications and some cheaper current applications that dont need high frequency switching.
Even 252 mosfets are also too old for modern motherboards. also known DPAK they are very not suitable

You shouldn't try it anyway. They have too high inductances to actually switch at high frequencies that enable them to be low in power dissipation in the first place!
Best case it won't turn on. Worst case? It hard turns on and explodes!

TO220 mosfets are built for old applications and some cheaper current applications that dont need high frequency switching.
Even 252 mosfets are also too old for modern motherboards. also known DPAK they are very not suitable

Looking back what the OP said, the user wants to fit larger ones as a replacement. Well it will work, but it's still needs to be cooled, but the users wants to experiment with no cooler. I don't think it's possible to leave the FET in mid air with nothing attached. A larger FET will not fit in the original footprint, ...if the user wants to experiment on old AM3 motherboards, they can do so at their own risk.

I do experiments here, cranking up the voltage watching the original motherboard MOSFET blow-up one by one, then I change them to better quality one & repeat the test. It stops blowing up, "dammit". But I have a large collection of FETS to play with.

Here you would not believe some of the strange things I get up-to, but some experiments I do keep & put on my main computer.

Last edited:
Looking back what the OP said, the user wants to fit larger ones as a replacement. Well it will work, but it's still needs to be cooled, but the users wants to experiment with no cooler. I don't it's possible to leave the FET in mid air with nothing attached. A larger FET will not it in the original footprint, if the user wants to experiment on old AM3 motherboards, they can do so at their own risk.

I do experiments here, cranking up the voltage watching the original motherboard MOSFET blow-up one by one, then I change them to better quality one & repeat the test. It stops blowing up, "dammit". But I have a large collection of FETS to play with.

Here you would not believe some of the strange things I get up-to, but some experiments I do keep & put on my main computer.
Speaking from my EE experience, leaded mosfets have very high lead inductances and other issues that led mosfets to have smaller leadless packages. In fact, components in general.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
The greatest problem is to match them... You ain't a factory where you can match several rolls of them... the capacity and gain differs, not sure if the circuitry have means to fight parasitics and just rely on perfect match.

There are many variables... but none makes sense to really waste time on it.

The greatest problem is to match them... You ain't a factory where you can match several rolls of them... the capacity and gain differs, not sure if the circuitry have means to fight parasitics and just rely on perfect match.

There are many variables... but none makes sense to really waste time on it.
To drive them to frequencies possible with leadless mosfets, you need a WAY stronger driver that entails way higher power consumption on the drive or lose the efficiency benefits of higher frequencies.

As for matching, they are driven to either fully on (saturated) or off, there is no need for any matching as their Vgs off is fairly equal. It's only necessary to match if you are running mosfets in linear mode.

What is a problem however, is parasitics caused by leaded mosfets and slower mosfets because they aren't able to turn on or off in time and its that region that blows up mosfets with power switching because they suddenly dissipate a hell lot more power than they would normally

I can carry out the experiment here what the OP is trying to do. I have some big & I mean very big MOSFETS here. The problem before even starting, is getting such large FETS in a smaller space. I have to do a search & try to remember where I stored them. I also only have one motherboard to spare to carry out this experiment.

I like to point out when I was blowing up original FETS on motherboards it took around 1.8v+ to blow them up. The CPU is rated 1.55v Max but it actually survived up-to 1.9v before the FETS departed.
Flames can be seen as a hole is burned into the FET. ...After about the third or forth FET is blown, the motherboard shuts down. I carried out this experiment twice

As for what the OP wants to do, It will make the motherboard more fragile. Not sure if there is anything to gain from fitting bigger FETS without a heatsink.

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
What is a problem however, is parasitics caused by leaded mosfets and slower mosfets because they aren't able to turn on or off in time and its that region that blows up mosfets with power switching because they suddenly dissipate a hell lot more power than they would normally

Exactly.

While these days the difference is really small, there were some weird cases when you just replaced one mosfet in a VRM train for GPU(one phase blown). Despite being the same number, that critter acted weird, more hot or shutdowns. It was fixed changing all critters for the same batch ones... or you have a donor and put a known good one.

I have modded motherboards for OC purposes... LN2 mostly. There were boards were even place for the second mosfet was vacant. It should work well on older analog or hybrid style VRMs, haven't looked at modern digitals as those VRMs are beefy enough by default. Better results are just using Mosfets with lower RDS ON, not current or voltage... It still really works redoing some scooter ESCs where in the orginal place usually sit some fake/counterfeit china mosfets either way.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
"Upgrading" mosfets isn't new, but you have to be very-very careful when it comes to spec.
I've done it quite a few times when fixing dead laptops and motherboard, and my primary consideration is always a lower Rdson, rather than higher current throughput. Less heat = better performance and stability. Higher current rating ≠ Better performance.
Plus there are many more considerations, especially when it comes to AM3 boards. First of all - quality of PCB. Most 760/770/960/970 boards have shitty power traces(including some "enthusiast"-level boards), only meant for handling sub-90W parts. Upgrading mosfets will do no good, because textolite will still burn and char once enough current passes through it.
The whole AM3 ecosystem was such a mess, I avoided it at arm's length. The only reason people bought it - is price.

Also, as @Ferrum Master noted, counterfeit parts are quite common. I get my new parts from very few good suppliers, and even then I may get some defective chips. That's why I have a sizeable stockpile of dead donor boards at work.