1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

motherboard power switch leads are fried!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Oh SoS, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Oh SoS New Member

Thanks Received:
    So my old board died (I wasn't 100% sure, but it turns out I was right)

I wanted to quickly boot test the replacement (open box deal), so I got a needle nose screwdriver, to close the circuit across the power switch pins...I've done this dozens of times in the past w/out incident.
    Well this time, sparks flew...I'm not positive, but it's very likely I shorted across the USB pins right next to the power switch pins.

At any rate, the board would not power off when I closed the circuit again, and now won't power on...and that corner also has the very recognizable "burnt electronics" odor.
    sucks.

ATX form factors have used this design for over a decade now (that is, the use of a temporary switch to close the circuit over those leads to power the board)...I've never heard of this happening before, but now that it has, it kind of seems like a weak design...anybody know of a work around?

2. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    rma it and play dumb, its not the right thing to do since you were the one who destroyed it but it is the only remedy short of buying a new board