1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

motherboard question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darth_Pewee, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

i have recently acquired a rig from a friend who was not using it anymore, but is need of serious overhaul..

everything the box has is currently in my system specs.

my question is, is this motherboard worth keeping.. it will allow up to an AM3 phenom II x6 BE.. is it worth putting that on the board. or should i be shopping for a new board first..

i dont want to worry about video until i can have the decision made...

i want to be able to play things like Skyrim and have it look decent... right now the frame rate is playable.. but there have been somethings that have hindered the game.. Lighting issues being the biggest..

One other question.. it seems this rig really bogs down in things like iTunes, i will be skipping tracks and it will just hang for like 30 seconds... playing music but not able to click anything in the program.. where could that bottle neck be??

2. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Try what Clementine does, using the same pc and music collection. Note: closing it will minimize it to the system tray (use the latter or File --> quit to quit the program).

Mobo should be worth keeping if you stick with AMD IMHO. Changing mobo is only needed if you want a Sandy Bridge based machine.

As AthlonX2 states in the post below, just throw in a graphics card (e.eg. a 5770) and you should be good to go.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
    Darth_Pewee says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    i would throw a decent video card in it and run with it doesnt seem to bad of a system

4. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I have the board in question's "younger brother", nice board for what it is. If you find that X3 not up to your standards, go to an Athlon II X4 or all the way up to a 1055t, 965 BE or 1090T BE if you can afford it.

5. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply guys.. i will look into the clementine player when i get the chance..

and as for recommending Athlons.. what is the leading difference between the Athlon and the Phenom..

sorry but am new to the AMD line.. come from a group of Intel Fans, but wanted to give AMD a fair chance

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Onboard Cache is the major difference between an Athlon II and a Phenom II(ignoring clockspeed, power consumption and such).

JrRacinFan and Darth_Pewee say thanks.
  7. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Checked out Clementine... so far love it.. does not lag.. has easily accessible album cover options...
    not sure if it supports new iOS5 wifi sync.. but if it doesn't not a killing point if i could thank you twice i would