1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard Question ...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Drimbrull, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Drimbrull New Member

Thanks Received:
    As you guys were very helpful on unlocking the pipes on my x800 I wondered if this site was solely for video card questions (as 90% of posts seem to be about Graphics cards).

I am trying to do some light overclocking of my fsb to improve performance, but have found my motherboard is somewhat disabled in being able to do this (thanks Fujitsu-Siemens).

Now the question is ... if I were to get a bios from a different manufacturer (I believe my board wa made by intel and locked by Fujitsu) which would be a PhoenixBios 4.6, what would happen? Would it work? Would it kill my board? would it not flash?

If it does flash are their any decent tools that could be used? Can they be used without flashing and by keeping my current Bios?

So many questions and I am such a noob :|

I hope this makes sense...

Chipset is 865pe, running windows XP, 4 memory banks (DDR400), 3 gig ht chip.

Thats about all the randoms covered... any help/ thoughs appreciated.

2. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Drim,

It's probably a OEM board that more than likely would not work with one of the other BIOS, if you do decide to try it you should do so with a BIOS Saver (here ). There are also two good programs to use to OC your system from windows, both are handicapped unless you can up the vcore some on the CPU in the BIOS. Most OEM boards do not give you opinions to do so. But you could try CPUCOOL (here ) and there is SetFSB.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  3. aL Doom New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you are pretty much stuck with that. From my experiance most mobos are somehow different and different bios won't work with different mobos. This is not a graphic card in which most manufacturers follow a reference design. Tough luck... that why i don't by mobos from Intel or F/S. The taiwanese manufacurers are the best out there since they are trying to get the edge over their competition. If you can replace the mobo I would suggest u get Abit or ASUS. There is not much u can do. ALL FSB setting programs dont work on intel mobos.

4. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:

Al Doom... check out CPUCOOL, it does have settings for Intel Boards. This is a older version, the newer version should have more ... it's based on the PLL chip not the board

Attached Files:

• PLL.JPG
      PLL.JPG
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
  5. aL Doom New Member

Thanks Received:
    Never heard of the FSB proggie. i'll check it out. If it does overclock intel some people are gonna be really happy :)

6. Drimbrull New Member

Thanks Received:
    Excellent advice guys, most of which I expected but it looks like that little proggy may be an option... awesome.

7. aL Doom New Member

Thanks Received:
    So how did it go? Im itiching to know if it working on ur Samsung mobo....

8. Drimbrull New Member

Thanks Received:
    No idea yet ... going to try it tonight. Or maybe tomorrow depending on how brave I am feeling.

9. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    What you can also try is to identify your PLL chip... try to match it to a board from the same manufactor... without the ability to up the vcore voltage you'll be limited to about 20mhz on the FSB... which should not hurt anything... so start slow with 5mhz at a time ... good luck :D

10. Halki New Member

Thanks Received:
    somewhere.. over the rainbow (Zilina, Slovakia)
    another thing is to find out how is the mobo handling incremented FSB - if it's raising the agp freq., too, you'll probably wont OC it even for a few mhz's - some gfx's (like mine for instance) don't like the agp going beyond 66mhz, which is the default. I'm no beast for intel chipsets, so i don't know... i'm sure Via KT400 does this, OCed the fsb for 4(!) mhz's and the 3d applications freezed at once :(

11. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the app Halki ... CPUCOOL doesn't raise agp with FSB ... but still a good point :)

12. Halki New Member

Thanks Received:
    yup, just tried it yesterday... and its screwing the pci/agp freq a bit... but not much. still, tried to oc my trusty 1300 to 1400, worked for a few mins, then freezed, added some volts (+1.1%) and it's running fine now... i'll try to go further, but i'm a bit handicaped since the sensors aren't showing correct temp :(

13. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    There's also ClockGen and SetFSB .... at least you can up the vcore :) cool it's help some, your right to keep a eye on the temps. There is MBM5 (Mother Board Monitor) I think it's called that can monitor sensors from your MOBO as well...

14. Halki New Member

Thanks Received:
    tried that, guess, an hour or two ago... it says my CPU is burning at 76C degrees, which can't be true because i set the BIOS to turn the rig off at 60C...
    so the only way to look at the temps is to do the hard reset and go for the BIOS hw monitoring page :D

15. Drimbrull New Member

Thanks Received:
    I identified my pll no problem and it was one listed do I though"Great!" ... but fsbcool didn;t work, and cpucool wouldn;t start as my rig is apparently running the wrong ntio(something).sys Bit of a shame really as I couldn't get any changes to happen just through fsbcool.

Oh well.

16. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Drim... you select the mainboard under settings and under functions is where you change the FSB. Some PLL chips the app will tell you to use fine tuning which is the bottom selection. With fine tuning you do not need to get FSB. After selecting fine tune another window will pop where you can increase FSB ... take it up 5 to 10 mhz at a time....

17. Drimbrull New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, tried that but as the fine tuning is a part of CPUCool it failed to actually make any changes at all ... I assume it's because the version of CPUCool saying I had the wrong file meant that it didn't start/wasn't working as intended. I've tracked down an earlier version of CPUCool which I hope will work with my my machine.

Seems odd that the newer version wouldn't start as I'm running xp home, with sp2 fully updated, so I would have thought it would be up to date on all system files, but hey ho ... what fun is life without the odd challenge :D

18. Halki New Member

Thanks Received:
    drimbrull, it showed the same error to me, you just have to reinstall the cpucool and restart, thats all... btw the cpufsb should work, so only thing you need is to follow what Urlyin said :)

19. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    How much can you get out of Halki?

20. Halki New Member

Thanks Received:
    see the sig... :( crappy 'n' cheap duron... set the vcore to max (as the mobo allows - +2.2%), cpu temp is somewhere around 24 degs, when i pull the fsb to 107 (1390), the games are freezing after few secs... dunno if it's the gfx's fault (agp > 66mhz) or simply the cpu wont take it

21. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't look like it but can you change memory clock speeds ... generic mem or low end mem can hold you back as well ...

22. Halki New Member

Thanks Received:
    but i have ddr400..? i've already set the timings to "high", do you suggest trying the ultra setting (i'm not really skilled at setting those manually)

23. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Get CPUz and it will give you read outs of your system and speed. You could try the Ultra settings to see if it will help ... usually what you want to do is try to lower your memory to see how high you can take the CPU without the memory being an issue. Once you have found the max CPU mhz then you can try to increase the memory .... like on my system being an Intel may not translate but if I were to run DDR400 1:1 I'd have to lower it's timing to DDR333 5:4 in order to get to 286mhz FSB. Because the DDR400 can not run at those speeds. However I have DDR500 which allows me to run at 1:1 ... trail and error and a willingness to test settings to get the most out of your board. But over all you'll just be looking to bump it up a tad ...

24. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    With my Intel board I actually do almost what Urlyin does but in 1:1 I lower my DDR 400 to 333 then turn up my FSB (200-250) so my ram ends up at 415 well within safe range so my P42.4C runs quite stable at 3.0

25. Halki New Member

Thanks Received:
    underclocked ram from 133 to 100... the comp is now running @ 1400, testing stability... thanx, guys!

(actually i've found out that i'm running 266mhz ram, forgot i have 400 and 266 modules at a time:))