1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard replaced in laptop - USBs not working

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Freecell, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Freecell New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all.
    About a month(!) ago, I gave my laptop to a repair shop so that they could replace my motherboard. I just got it back today, but it seems like my USB ports aren't working at all. I plug something in and there's no response.
    USBs are enabled in the BIOS, I already checked. All drivers are up to date, but I haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling USB drivers because I'm not confident that I could get them back yet.

I'm wondering, is this possibly a problem with the new motherboard, or is there something I'm just not getting/haven't tried?

For the record, I'm using an Asus laptop and am running Windows 7.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Bring it back to the repair shop.
  3. Freecell New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, this is about what I figured. It sucks because they held on to it for so long last time, and it takes forever to drive there. I want to see if there are any alternatives before I have to take it back.
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    honestly with a laptop, If the motherboard dies its really just best to buy a new laptop due to the price changes.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    If the USB ports happen to be on a daughter board maybe they forgot to plug in the ribbon cable when they were re-assembling it.

Anyway your best bet is to get it back to them as USB ports are natively supported by Windows 7 (no external drivers needed) so I doubt it's a software issue.
    Freecell says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Freecell New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn. Alright, I'll go back to them tomorrow. Hopefully they won't take another month to fix it. Thanks.
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't really say what you are trying to connect. I assume the device or devices still function? As in tried them on another PC just to be sure they are working?

If they are functional, sorry to say it, but I would go back to them as well. Otherwise if you get in there and they find out, they likely wont warranty anything they did either.
  8. Freecell New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I tried a pair of USB headphones I've been using recently and a couple USB sticks I use all the time for university. I'm sure it's not what I'm hooking up. Thanks for the thought, though.

It's just impossible for me to understand how they could charge so much and take so long to give me something that isn't working properly. I think I need to find a better repair shop next time.