1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard replacement

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by boise49ers, Jul 10, 2010.

1. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    I am about to replace 2 mother boards. My last attempt turned to shit. I am going to do it in my garage this time bare footed so there is no chance of static. Can I use magnetic screw drivers or is that a no no ? I just don't want another month of RMA's. I'm going to get some insulators this time too, and put a little elmer to hold them into place. Any other idvise will be helpful. What grounds the mother board if you insulate it ? The power supply7 ?
  2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure it was static electricity? I've never killed a component from static electricity, and I've never really taken any big precautions against it.

I use magnetic screwdrivers sometimes, but the one I've got is really weak. Just don't wear socks on carpet and do it. I usually work on stuff on my desk from my leather chair, or on the hardwood or tile floor. I've run my entire system off of a shipping box.
  3. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can use magnetic screw drivers... keep your case handy and make sure to touch it often on the bare metal... you will actually store a charge and by touching it, it will in turn ground you.
  4. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Cool thanks I 'm just paranoid. I'm still gunna do it my garage barefooted that will make me feel better. This time of year I'm usually barefooted at home anyway.
  5. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    the motherboard will not store a charge only you will so touch something to ground yourself often. They sell anti-static bracelets if it is that big of an issue... i know i would be paranoid if i zapped one of my components!
  6. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Yeah my big quad upgrade got shot dpown and I just don't think I can take it again:D
  7. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I've never taken precautions against static and never had problems. I've also always used a magnetic screwdriver.
    Hypothetical one: could a magnetic screwdriver kill, say, a bios chip if held near it or on it?
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I use a magnetic screwdriver, and I take no precautions against static... I work on the carpet with socks on, and the case laying down on the carpet. I just touch the case often to discharge any... charge.
    Crunching for Team TPU