1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard smoked/fried on first boot help?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Xazax, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Well i picked up a MSI P45 Diamond DDR3 motherboard from Frys and proceed to install it.. i Used

E6600
    2x1GB DDR3 Patriot RAM
    700w CM UCP PSU
    SATA CD-ROM
    SATA Raptor 150GB

Well after getting it setup, i plug everything in USB/Power/VGA and proceed to turn it on.. when i do the motherboard started smoking!! :twitch::twitch: i could see the smoke pouring off the stupid thing, it smelt like burning rubber, well i hastily unplugged everything and quickly pulled out the mobo(after it stopped smoking of course which lasted a good few mins!) When looking at the motherboard it looks perfectly ok, but it seems the area around the CPU PWM phase burnt up.. if i put my nose there i can pick it the smell really strong around that area whereas the rest doesnt.

Now i just picked up this mobo, which was an open box, yesterday from Frys... obviously im going to return it saying "it doesnt work" but my real question is.. will anything have gotten damaged? im kinda afraid of testing the PSU because it was a brand new PSU so im afraid it may of had something happened to it

2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL. I had the exact thing happen to me about 7 years ago. Ironically, it was also an MSI boardd. It was my fault though. I was such a noob...I had screwed the board directly to the case. First and last piece of hardware I destroyed. It did not take any of the other components with it.

3. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    If you say the CPU power components burned up then I would bet that it didnt kill anyhting else off. It probably discharged all power right through whatever it melted and the power didnt make it passed that spot.

Here's to wishful thinking :toast:

4. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    I keep laughing about the fact that the shop is called "Frys" and it really fries! :D

5. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Happened to my MSI P45 Neo-F about two months ago. I pushed my old Q6600 to 3.2Ghz at 1.4v and the PWM blew up and lit on fire during the stress test (actual open flame inside the case).

Not touching anything by them ever again.

6. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Man, MSI must be crappy. I had the Northbridge burn on on a 650I SLI board. It didn't take anything else with it when it died though. You should be ok.

7. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Well it seems i shoulda stuck to my guns about MSI boards, i had them fail on me more then any other brand, but this P45 Diamond looked Extremely good and had onboard X-FI so i thought i give it a whirl :\ there my dreams lay smoking..

but man i cant believe the SMELL it was horrible!!!

8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I had a choice of the MSI P45 Diamond or the P5Q-Pro. I am glad that I went with my gut and got the Asus. Just take it back and get another one, or something else.

9. LaurieDB

LaurieDB New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Googling about this type of situation, I came across this discussion, so decided to register and post here because I had the very same type of thing happen to me this weekend. I bought a new board, processor and RAM (at Fry's) and everything was going so smoothly, until I plugged in and started up. It was just a little, tiny sizzle, hardly noticeable, while the fans spun and the board lights were lit up. In fact, I thought (in my hopeful thinking) that maybe I was just imagining things, because it happened very quickly and there was no smell or anything. So, I turn on the power again, and despite powering up, there was no POST, so....I checked and checked and checked again to see what could have caused this, but found no culprits. I got a new board and all is well, but I just couldn't find anything that could have caused this.

10. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Ive never liked msi they were ok when they stuck to graphics cards but the boards took a long time to catch up using very cheap capasitors etc still dont think they have caught up tbh id never trust one ive bought and used / overclocked better foxconn boards.

Aopen made some nice boards at one time.

11. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Could it be the psu at fault was that ever tested??

Some boards ship with bad design faults that get things overheated the 1st lot of buyers normally find that out before they actually do somthing about it.

12. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:

ive built about 10 computers with msi boards, and never had 1 give me any trouble.....Maybe you just dont know how to use a grounding strap. LOL!!!:cool: