1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by linktriscuit, Apr 21, 2010.

1. linktriscuit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey fellas, i was wondering if anybody that had an experience with the P45 chipset suggest a new motherboard for me.:) I currently have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with a C2Q Q6600 and Kingston KHX8500AD2K2/4GR. And i plan to just have one video card, so i'll maybe buy the next best board from the cheapest offering from either Asus or Gigabyte. I somewhat heard certain things that was very wrong with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L, and GA-EP45-UD3L.:( So if anybody has any input, i'd appreciate it. And also can anybody tell me more about the difference with the PCI-E 2.0. I don't mean about the technical part, but what ones experienced. If i were to have a motherboard that supports PCI-e 2.0 along with my graphic card which is 2.0, would i be able to tell any difference? And what would i experience. I guess the technical part can be included when informing or suggesting.:D I plan to just let it run stock, or maybe overclock the cpu a little but overall it's gonna run at stock speeds. Again, thanks for the input.:)

2. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    It really wouldn't be much of an upgrade at all, more like a side step. If you are going to do that, you should just save up for an 1156 setup or AM3. As for PCI E 2.0, it wouldn't be anything noticeable for your 3870, newer higher end cards, little better but nothing to write home about.

3. linktriscuit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, i just wanted to finish this one before i decide to create my next build. I'm sure there's gotta be a difference between the P35 and P45 chipsets.:) But i'll research on this 1156. Does it have a promise?:rolleyes:

4. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    Yes there is a difference, cooler running, better south bridge, better overclocking, but really buying one this late in the game isn't the smartest thing to do. I mean you really aren't gaining much in terms or performance but just getting a motherboard.

5. jagd

Thanks Received:
    Keep your board and use money for next build, P45 will not bring a difference you can see .P45 will make sence if your board has problem or you need raid .
    Pci-e scaling with 5870 http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling

boomstik360 says thanks.
  6. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    the effective different in performance between p35 and p45 is the p45 is the p45 great in overclocking and no big different in graphic card performance, no Vdrop it's most important thing

other thing im agree with friend here about moving to LGA 1156 but if you want p45 think about gigabyte EP45-UD3P best p45 ever i see