1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboards should have plugs underneath!

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by will, Oct 17, 2008.

1. will

will

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking, someone should make a motherboard with its 24pin, 8pin, sata ports and usb/frontpanel connections on the underneath of the pcb instead of on top! That way you could just have a few holes in the motherboard tray and then pretty much all the cables could plug in from behind the tray, so all the cables would stay round the back and not obstruct airflow... anyone think this is a good idea lol! I know it would be tricky getting the back panel to close with the 24pin connector plugged in, if you bent the cables a bit it might work in some cases...
  2. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    in some cases, theres your problem right there, hell some case dont even have any holes on the motherboard tray for routing the wires through, big fail, sorry to burst your bubble man :laugh: :D
  3. v-zero Guest

Dell, Alienware, Apple - they could all employ this idea quite nicely because of their customised nature. It's a nice idea.
  4. will

will

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats what I was thinking, you would probably have to have a specific case to match so probably not the best of ideas but oh well :laugh:
  5. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    well if u put every thing behind then u would just make a thicker case to manage the extra wires behind it
  6. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i think apple uses this
  7. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Mkmods did one better and soldered all the wires to the back in one of his mods. I too wish there was an easy way to implement this.
  8. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Nonsense idea unless you have a very very specific location of a socket AND it wouldnt interfere with mounting on a case that DIDNT have the appropriate hole. That just aint going to work. And servicing it would be a nightmare.

But look at workstation and server class mainboards that have connectors on the EDGE of the mainboard. That's a good move.
  9. NeoCrisis

NeoCrisis

Thanks Received:
    The kind of people that buy Alienware, Mac, Dell etc etc... could care less about this idea.

Also you would need a case that as high enough motherboard risers to allow anything to be connected from underneath. Atleast 1.5in of clearance for the 24pin.
  10. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not if the mobo came with 90* adapters!?!?!?!?!?! Plus it could free up realestate for say a diagnostic center for a DMM or Post code LED's or similar.
  11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a good idea and have though about it myself before also.

I don't think I see this happening anytime in the near future though.