1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mounting RAM sinks with AS5 + super glue

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by iKhan, Apr 12, 2012.

1. iKhan

iKhan

Thanks Received:
    I bought an aftermarket cooler for my GTX 285, but the RAM sinks won't stay on because of the shitty ass thermal tape. I've read about applying a small dab of AS5 and two small dabs of super glue on the corners to secure the RAM sinks.

Anyone try this? Is it safe? I need to get this cooler on ASAP.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are thermal epoxies on the market that will allow the sinks to be eventually removed. With the use of super glue, my guess is if you ever want to remove the sinks you are going to rip the ram chip off the PCB doing so.
    iKhan says thanks.
  3. iKhan

iKhan

Thanks Received:
    Problem is Radio Shack is useless and doesn't carry anything like that. All they have is thermal paste. If I buy it online I have to wait a few more days. As far is the super glue goes, I will be putting only two small drops of some cheapo glue on two of the four corners.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would still say if you ever plan to remove the cooler, lets say for RMA purposes, superglue isn't the answer. I would wait 3-5 days and do things right the first time.
  5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    use the superglue as the thermalpaste!
    Sir B. Fannybottom says thanks.
  6. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    It probably doesn't help now but when I use thermal tape to stick on RAM heatsinks or on MOSFETs I've always had good luck with the following steps:

Thoroughly clean surface that will have heatsink applied (obviously)
    Apply heatsink with good amount of pressure from thumb and finger
    Heat up heatsink with a hair dryer
    Apply more pressure on heatsink after it is warmed up (don't burn yourself, it can get too hot)
    Allow to cool

I've had good luck with thermal tape using the above steps without having any RAM heatsinks fall off.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I don't think super glue is a good conductor of heat so if the memory chips get hot (which would be bad,) wouldn't the super glue melt (which also I can only imagine would also be bad)?
  8. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    If you don't go crazy with the super glue you should be alright but I have always used a hot glue gun instead :eek:

I've also heard of people making their own epoxy by mixing paste & Superglue, do at your own risk!
  9. iKhan

iKhan

Thanks Received:
    Alright so here's what I did.

I cleaned the card as much as I could with alcohol. I even tried cleaning the RAM chips with an eraser like Arctic Cooling recommended. I read about heating up the heatsinks and tried that. They held on pretty well until it came down to mounting the cooler it self...they fell off again.

It's not the money I'm mad over, it's the inconvenience. I mean really...they sell us a $40 cooler and fucking cheap out on $2 worth of thermal epoxy?

I went a head and ordered some Arctic Silver Alumina AATA-5G Thermal Adhesive. Hopefully that shit works. Now I have to wait another three days.
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry it give you some thing to look forward to..